Japanese Surrender sword

Butch

Here are some pics of a Surrender sword made by Yoshi Shige  dated 1940 I got this from the well respected dealer here in the UK Bill Tagg .

Who got it from a deceased collectors estate the son of the collector told Bill that his father got it directs from the veteran over fifty years ago,

The sword comes with its original retention / Authority slip dated 21/11/1945.

Also a photograph of the Japanese officer who surrendered this sword to the named person on the slip.

The photograph says it was surrendered by a Lieutenant T. Hasegawa and is dated 1945 Singapore the officer seems to have a big medal bar …

I haven’t any pics of the tang as it’s a bugger to take apart ..

I did manage to take it apart when I first received it Which matches Bills notes which I will post the seppa  are all matching.

There is a slight flaw which indicates a Gendaito and there is no arsenal stamps .

Regarding the smith as any one heard of him ?

Thanks GarethAE7C1B7F-EC97-4B6A-BD7B-476183705148.thumb.jpeg.6de80306413bdbcf839afab9f0fec862.jpeg5DCC4668-ED1E-4032-8830-05A0B94AA441.thumb.jpeg.2261bd4c67ae8e5e63144479d9a8327a.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Gareth, there is one smith listed signing Yoshishige. He was a Seki Kaji Tosho.

良重 (Yoshishige)

小見 山良造

Seki Kaji Tosho

During WWII, more than 200 swordsmiths worked only at Seki province to supply qualified swords for their soldiers.  Their names began to appear in Seki Tanrensho Booklet printed in 1939.  Several smiths in this list worked as Rikugun Jumei Tosho (e.g. Nakata Kanehide) and produced both good and poor blades together. However, most of these seki smiths produced low grade Showato and should not be regarded as a Gendaito.  The list shows their smith name and real name.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..