NAMBAN TSUBA WITH WABI SABI AESTHETIC

roger dundas

Something else to digest regarding both Namban tsuba and also the "wabi sabi" aesthetic .

I am presuming the "wabi sabi" aesthetic because I just can't see what other reason the tsuba maker would have to produce a piece as this. Quite carefully finished one side including the dragon overlay whereas the reverse is as rough as can be.

Early owner or owners of this tsuba also have liked it enough to have mounted it on what looks like 3 different nihonto.

Not usually my interest but I do like this one.

70 x 66 x ?.

Here's hoping someone likes it.

Roger j

wabi-sabi 1.jpg

wabi-sabi 3.jpg

wabi -sabi 2.jpg

wabi-sabi.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Roger it looks like an attempt at a type called Uchimimikaeshi or Uchikaeshimimi depending on the reference. Unlike your example they are usually made from a thin round or oval plate with the edges turned in one direction while red hot and the 'corners' turned in the opposite. 

The plate looks thick on yours and it looks like it was a cross shape to start with. Perhaps it was a continental attempt to copy the Japanese style? 

z uchimimi.jpg

• Thanks 1

Roger, I think yours is a variation on the wan-gata form that was more common in continental Asia, but also produced in lower numbers by a variety of schools in Japan.

But at the same time, like Dale suggested, it could looks like a variant of the Japanese Uchikaeshimimi form which not typically dished like a wan-gata... so yours looks like a blend of aesthetics.

I have seen several examples of wan-gata shaped "Hizen", nunome decorated tsuba, where the dished inward side is much rougher than the outer surface.

image.png.7c145c918cbd9df0b620050280cadbfb.pngimage.png.9e537b435afdb38ad9f2760d7e041d6e.pngimage.png.e2ab5d9a78ffeb3fa7ea29093ee24fd7.png

Although that's not always the case...

Here's one (Possibly of Korean origin) that is finished smooth on both surfaces:

image.png.27783243b8fc3c446fd404cac3b217ac.pngimage.png.f0e1f8fb53f2ae0368676b4b461c52be.png

Given that both rough and smooth inner surfaces exist on the dished wan-gata forms, you would have to conclude that it was a deliberate choice by the smith to leave one side rough.

And Roger, yours has deliberate horizontal chisel marks that were done in clusters.

I think they are meant to suggest some form of "mist" or "air" to go along with the dragon on the front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, This is a wonderful thread. Indeed, I had eye-balled the guard that Roger used to open the discussion. I passed because I couldn't decide where it was created- initially - but it clearly wears a history of use on the continent. And then Grev showed us that it is a "type". WOW! Thank you all!

Peter

• Thanks 1

Glad to get your responses, thanks Dale, Grev, Glen (and just now Peter) and somewhat relieved to see Grev's example which is near identical and almost certainly the same maker. Something of a weird but intriguing form I must say and the reasons for this particular design are  ?

Grev's tsuba and the top one of Glen's look like they have been mounted on more than one blade also, particularly Grev's .

Is the thinking on multiple blades using the same tsuba that the owner had a liking for that specific tsuba or might it be a change of owner, therefore a change of blade ? Has this issue been discussed or considered I wonder ?

Roger j

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..