Tameshigiri , two cutting tests

Tengu1957

3 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Obvious you don't understand what it takes to drive on a regulation track. It's called a "Racing License" and their are degrees of License.  How do I know this, ever hear of Outlaw Racing? What kind of name is Dark-Con? 

I was talking about a car, not a driving license.

I do drag racing every now and then.

Don't worry about what kind of name is Dark-con - none of your business either way. And finally - I think it's time for you to sit on that broomstick and brush yourself off out of here. 95% of what you have written so far is garbage. Not to mention how many folks you've pissed off already ..

J.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Tengu1957 said:

I acquired another cutting test blade but I'm not sure if I will post it after this. 

Please do post it Gary.

Hopefully, all the hot-air surrounding cutting-tests has blown itself out and (hopefully) won't detract from the appreciation of another blade from your superb collection.

Cheers,

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Meibun, (signature)

Mutsu Daijo Miyoshi Nagamichi Toshiro ( the 

first cutting test

On a day in the second month of kowa 2 (1802)

(The blade was tested) by cutting through the armpits (o- wakige) by Mr. Ito

second test:

By Mr. Yuda Takenao on 21st day in the third month 11 the year of the rat,(1840) by cutting through the armpits (o-wakige)

20220505_145647.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 5/4/2022 at 11:34 AM, Darkcon said:

I was talking about a car, not a driving license.

I do drag racing every now and then.

I'm interested in your drag racing, what drag track do you use? What racing school did you attend and what car? 

• Downvote 4

2 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

I'm interested in your drag racing, what drag track do you use? What racing school did you attend and what car? 

It wasn't an invitation 🤣

Focus on the blades discussed, not me!

🤐

J.

• Thanks 1

I admit, I'm very late to this topic - and once again I'm surely not the one with the best insight on the cutting tests. What I might add though, as my first blade already carried a "cutting test" it indeed as a first reaction was quite weird to learn on such a method of proofing something. Why would they need to cut a human body, and not something else? The more I thought about it, the more I could put it in context of their period and culture. Not too long ago many had slaves and actually didn't bother to use violence on them. I did notice some approaches on various locations that tried to "change history" by pulling statues, etc. to show we do not concur with what they did back then. While some can pull the objects, they though will not change history and what had happened. But pulling them might make us loose to remember and be able to learn from the past, and that isn't a good thing. How should we learn on how cruel Hitler and the Nazis were, if we are to destroy, delete and remove everything reminding us of what they did? I always tell my employees that you are not stupid if you do a mistake, unless you do it twice. So why not learn from the past and try to change to what, according to our current society, morals and views (or even only personal view) is good, by giving these examples from the past?

To the OP: thank you for posting your blade. As already initially said, I know way too little on these to comment in depth. It is very interesting to me (and what you had pointed out) that the blade underwent a cutting test twice. I really wonder why and what for? Did the current owner at the second test feel the necessity to proof again how good it is? Did he thought it would make it even more exclusive? Or did the cutter, due to the previous cutting test, thought he could do even better than the first cutter and therefore performed a tougher cut?

Did you get it papered? If yes, I'd love to hear which papers it received and what they say on the blade. Looking forward to find out on the other one you mentioned you recently got ahold of!

• Like 2

Hi Bruce

yes its the  number of the photo from it's NTHK Paper..

George

There are various theories about the two cutting test's  38 years  apart....

fairly rare!

This blade is extremly healthy and also has a little ubu-Ha

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..