Sword photography

Dear members,

I have recently ventured into the field of sword photography. After getting a great tutorial by a close friend who has mastered it professionally I also wanted to try.

My first object was a Yukimitsu Tanto in Moroha tsukuri, so there is a lot of Hamon and hataraki to see!

I will upload a lowres version of the result and would be happy to get feedback. Do you think the quality is competitive with what is state of the art?

Also a much bigger question for me is if I should offer this as a service, so people buying swords in Japan could get a photo of their sword which would very well be suited for a life size picture for their wall. I could simply visit the dealer and take the picture before they export the sword.

Let me know what you think, really happy to know if that would be a thing!

Cheers

Paul

tanto-yukimitsu-sukesada-022022-lowres-watermark.jpg

• Like 1

Paul, your pictures look great and like Paz said pictures are probably the best selling point of any sword. For me a service like you are thinking about would be a great idea. A beautiful picture to go with a beautiful blade would be nice. Also not that someone couldn’t do it themselves but even a small detailed picture to put with each blade would also be a good idea. Great job and Good Luck with you venture

MikeR

I really like the photos, fo a great job putting the entire blade in a strong focus, the colors look both strong yet natural and the details really come through. 

I've casually tried and have good cameras but left frustrated.  Have no idea what lense to use, but I feel like I need something under 15mm and maybe a macro type, think I need actual lights. 

Basically I learned in my casual go that I'm missing some pieces somewhere.  

Either way, very well done!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..