Gunto katana for sale

Sunny

Signature reads E ....which may be Cho-unsai whom is Cho-unsai Emura.

There are some examples of this E.

I am not 100% on this kanji but the blade is traditionally made with an oil quench and the hamon is real.

Nagasa is just under 26inches

complete length is 100cm 

locking pin is missing 

tang , saya , tassel loop Tsuba has been treated with black urushi resin for weather.

fittings are all tight and line up properly.

seppas are numbered 45 

no nicks or chips 

A tiny bit of discolouration in a few parts of the blade 

a bit of chipped paint and rust on the saya 

blade is heavy and wide.

due to the question of this blade I'm 

asking $1200 CAN which I believe is fair.

2E8ACF51-7759-4CAF-98A1-8E56A7989C10.thumb.jpeg.8586ed1d2a875930f90c2fcffe72e3e7.jpeg
0E91E96A-C48C-43CD-8F83-416F6B1F8B88.thumb.jpeg.f80916ee39cd235f9405a7065e14d550.jpegEE2B5B2D-FD15-4695-B7EB-F7A770B8FE0E.thumb.jpeg.63599a5accd162c39f5e574e9be04691.jpegAD053CD6-6EC2-4BF9-BF54-9033B645CC6F.thumb.jpeg.b27546fb3169e0a8e96e8ed6082ddab4.jpeg286BD48D-E274-4007-B997-1EE066A9F81A.thumb.jpeg.7ba21004caa9ecc1e51bc135647745f8.jpeg4186BD80-373B-4F76-82D1-81D92E713BCF.thumb.jpeg.c63a26685953eb6cbfa49ee1fffa6e22.jpegD9A71E40-E35B-4B5E-B397-AEB6225520E3.thumb.jpeg.a1a24c10db86814d1b65d8c8e1d8ff93.jpeg971D02BF-AEFE-4FDF-8DA5-DF5AA088FE07.thumb.jpeg.18dd14fd546eea0ae90fdd7b30a180bd.jpegF3052634-79BE-4F35-987C-18169AA6C37D.thumb.jpeg.92dbefc2ab159733588620e8372bbffd.jpeg

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Dont know why you're saying his full name...its just E.

If I just put E. then maybe the new guy wouldn't know what to reference ?

Maybe you can help by putting up that link you shared with me with the single kanji on the nakago being a legit Emura along with a lot of other photo's and info.

I'm sure that will help out the new people to this hobby a lot.

Thanks again 

@Stephen <-- may be correct. Please refer to the website below for information on Emura. No references made to a single character signature. The hamon does not appear to be Emura style. It is said that some of the prisoners made the swords completely, without his assistance. Trying hard here but, maybe this was not up to his standards and he stopped the signature from being applied. Following the biggest lesson given to me...judge the blade, not the name.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/emura.htm

• Like 1

The Japanese sword index seems to think this signature is right 

the hamon and blade show quality 

all the parts fit tight and line up 

there are lots of WW2 blades that have Urushi resin for protection against snow or it could be even for being close to salt water 

I bought the blade because you were looking for one ....you passed ... you already gave me your opinion privately 

and didn’t seem interested.

There are others I spoke to privately that have the same if not more knowledge than you and they seem to think this blade and fittings are legit.

everyone is entitled to their opinion so thanks.... noted for the second time ....and moving on now shall we.

Cheers 

A2864ACF-3B94-4F5D-B8F8-FBF6C505FA9C.thumb.jpeg.cdcb5afd2bc7f2432f3997dde2bb8a07.jpeg

6 minutes ago, DTM72 said:

@Stephen <-- may be correct. Please refer to the website below for information on Emura. No references made to a single character signature. The hamon does not appear to be Emura style. It is said that some of the prisoners made the swords completely, without his assistance. Trying hard here but, maybe this was not up to his standards and he stopped the signature from being applied. Following the biggest lesson given to me...judge the blade, not the name.

http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/emura.htm

That’s weird 

I guess there were quite a few blades being stopped from being signed but were still fitted and used.

tour link shows the single kanji 

anyways .....

still for sale 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Ive owend a few, but never said im a expert.

The E on the chart and yours dont match.

You're believing what you want to believe to make the sale I don't want to stop you.

Right ....because the E isn’t perfect 

like other kanji repeated 

and now your passive aggressively saying I’m aiming to rip someone off

Really ? I want to believe it’s real to make a sale ?

like I need to fantasize over $1800 ?

It’s a traditionally made blade in WW2 fittings... what’s 1800 CAN 

that’ s 1400 US 

yeah I’m really aiming to gouge someone here 

blades with no signature usually go for   about $1400 on liveAuctioners so am I really aiming to snag someone on this....am I really aiming to Mark it up for more than it’s worth ?

Real classy of you.

I have a feeling this isn’t about the sword anymore 

Very unfortunate and I hope you make it through what ever is bothering you or you are going through.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Stephen said:

And that all i have to say about that.

This is the same behaviour you've shown to others and me a long ways back.

When I first got on here with a different name almost a year ago.

You said my blade was fake ....then that I stole it or I'm using someone else photos.

But little do you know a very reputable appraiser on this sight approved that very same sword before it went to auction and I sold it for more then what I was asking.

I have kept this to myself but I'm pretty sure you know some of what went down maybe you don't by the sounds of it.

It's very unfortunate that every once in awhile you have to be really rude to members on here.

I'll tell you what.... if Brian says it's a fake I'll take it down.

Because this is his house ....and no one else's.

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Remind me what your other name was...and what Sword?

If I did that it would take the all meaning away from me trying to be friendly ...send you pics of a koi painting because you like them.

I honestly bought this blade thinking of you not far off of what I'm selling it for.

No...that would just bring me down to your level ....I mean look at you already ...starting a thread to discredit me like you just did.

You just want someone to talk down to and argue with.

I'm not there ...I don't want to be there.

it just really sucks man ...it really sucks

Take care 

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I wanted to see i was wrong...to correct my self...that would benefited you but read into it how you want to.

I don't need validation from you.

That would mean I would have to drag my peers into this conversation and I don't want to do that out of respect for their privacy and decision to have my back.

I don't have the energy for this.
My take..it's gimei. The hamon is completely different to Emura's usual. And you said so yourself...looks oil quenched. That means not Gendaito and therefore not Emura. I haven't seen an Emura Showato.
THAT SAID...it's priced very fairly now for a WW2 sword, even if gimei. So should sell with or without the mei. Buy it as a gimei at a reasonably price, and if it turns out to be a Gendaito....score.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..