Crack in Koshirae

Blazeaglory

So just leave it alone?

I was thinking of sending it to someone professional. It's like a thick egg shell, waiting to flake off

If you intend to have it restored professionally resist fiddling with it yourself,  many home remedies can make proper restoration impossible.  If you have no intent on professional intervention, you could secure a dangerously loose area with a water soluble adhesive, but honestly I'm with Chris....leave it alone.   Sure there are numerous 'things' that can be done, and I wouldn't be surprised If you receive many recommendations, but I would resist the temptation of the easy fix.  As I said, many of these can make true restoration impossible,  or much more difficult and expensive.... and decrease the resale value.

-S-

• Like 3

If you intend to have it restored professionally resist fiddling with it yourself, many home remedies can make proper restoration impossible. If you have no intent on professional intervention, you could secure a dangerously loose area with a water soluble adhesive, but honestly I'm with Chris....leave it alone. Sure there are numerous 'things' that can be done, and I wouldn't be surprised If you receive many recommendations, but I would resist the temptation of the easy fix. As I said, many of these can make true restoration impossible, or much more difficult and expensive.... and decrease the resale value.

-S-

Thanks! I won't try anything myself, as you said, it would probably just make it worse

• Like 2

if it were mine I would remove the kozuka , that's what maybe caused the damage ? it does look like it is wedged into the saya ?

It fits pretty snug but not too tight or anything... I think it's from the act of holding the koshirae while drawing the tanto maybe?

I knew the crack was there since the purchase a while ago but I noticed the other night while removing the tanto that the lacquer in that area is somewhat "lifted" from the wood bit. So I think, from the history of ppl removing the blade, squeezing that area might have led to the cracking.

Your Saya has a nice texture. It is not "restored" with painting and glue. So leave it alone. It is a nice and original saya. I like what i see.

You're probably right. It's not that noticeable now anyways, so I'll just leave it alone.

It does have a really nice texture, I agree!

Dwain,

the problem with defects of this kind is that the wood underneath the URUSHI will dry out and the shrinkage will cause larger areas of lacquer to become loose. In the end the SAYA will probably crack open.

There is no fast and easy way for an aesthetically satisfying restoration, but I suggest that you have it done soon by a lacquer expert. 

By the way, most SAYA will dry out if left without a blade or a TSUNAGI, especially in our Western homes with a heating system. Almost inevitably, the lacquer of old KOSHIRAE will suffer so that the SAYA needs repair or even replacement.

The texture of your SAYA was done with salt mixed into the URUSHI. After hardening (URUSHI does not 'dry' but hardens by polymerisation), the surface is ground even and the salt is washed out of the surface with water. You will immediately understand that a small scale repair will be very difficult if not impossible. 

• Like 1

Dwain,

the problem with defects of this kind is that the wood underneath the URUSHI will dry out and the shrinkage will cause larger areas of lacquer to become loose. In the end the SAYA will probably crack open.

There is no fast and easy way for an artistically satisfying restoration, but I suggest that you have it done soon by a lacquer expert. 

This is the reason why, if you have a nice lacquer saya, you should have a shirasaya for your sword.  What's good for the blade is bad for the saya.  Moisture is the enemy of blades, but the friend of lacquer.... you should store your sword in a dry, low humidity location, your scabbard should be stored in a humid environment if you which to avoid cracks and splits.

-S-

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..