Gendaito By Koga Tamijo Hisakuni

vajo

I purchased this Gendaito by Kogo Tamjjo Hisakuni (JoJo Saku) from Ray (swordsofjapan.com) last week and it came on today in germany. I'm was a little unsure what i have bought, because from this smith is not many to see in the books (in my books nothing) and my thought was to give it a try.

After unboxing, i see in the afternoon sunlight a very massive, well forged wartime katana with a good length of 68 cm. The ashi are small in the suguba hamon and you can find a straight thin line of nie with islands of nijuba and koshigaiba wich i learnd by this sword. The blade has some little scratches and the hada is not seen (under a strong light i guess maybe masame) but nothing is serious. This heavy blade gives a strong feeling in hand. Who ever carried this sword in war must be proud to have such a good weapon on his side. 

I'm very happy to own it and it will be a worth candidate for a good polish in the future to bring out the original beauty and preserve. Thanks to Ray.

I take some shots in the sunlight wich are not the best, but gives you an idea of this smith. Maybe the pictures could help others to compare if you find another sword of this smith.

post-3496-0-06846400-1538162367_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-26969400-1538162381_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-76208700-1538162394_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-48429200-1538162404_thumb.jpgpost-3496-0-15203400-1538168280_thumb.jpg

Gergory and Fuller in "A guide to showa swordsmith (1978)" wrotes that Hisakuni was also teacher on the national technical school.

If someone had more informations i would be happy to hear more.

Best 

Chris

• Like 4

I take a deeper look in the sword today. The pictures are made yesterday are to dark. I think it has the original wartime polish.

The hamon looks bright but shining so the photo makes it darker as it is. No idea how to photograph it  :laughing:

post-3496-0-71209600-1538213800_thumb.jpg

Very interesting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..