Help With Signature Translation - Ww2 Sword

Daddy Cool

I wonder if someone could cast their eye over this signature - i just bought this sword which allegedly was surrendered to a Royal Navy Officer in Burma. Let me know if this photograph isnt good enough, and i will take some more.

Any ideas or even partial translation would be massively appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

ps. The seller claimed the signature reads "Bishu Osafune Honorimitsu" which i assumed to be a mispelling of "Bishu Osafune Norimitsu" - currently doing some googling and some of the Kanji look similar, but im not sure...

post-1510-0-32523800-1481032003_thumb.jpg

post-1510-0-09639800-1481032012_thumb.jpg

Thank you guys!

If "SukeSada", my book suggest ones of three smiths, between 1492 and 1661 - does that sound right?

The mei being poorly written - what does that indicate (generally) - a low quality smith? an apprentice? A forgery?

If not "Suke", do you have any ideas what other maker it could be?

The mei being poorly written - what does that indicate (generally) - a low quality smith? an apprentice? A forgery?

The assumption being gimei (not an authentic signature). Still, as you asked about the working period here is example of different smiths and time periods where you can that mei used.

http://nihontoclub.com/view/smiths/meisearch?type=All&mei_op=contains&mei=%E5%82%99%E5%B7%9E%E9%95%B7%E8%88%B9%E7%A5%90%E5%AE%9A

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..