Kozuka Mei

Rodenbacher

Tomoyasu 友保(花押) is my guess. Not overly confident in this - the character I think is "友" has an extra stroke in there, so it may not be 友.

The other bits seem to me to be part of an "artists" name, but again this part is so stylized I can't pick anything out.

One kind of looks like 松 (Matsu), but the following kanji aren't matching anything in my reference. 

02/17/16

8:48 p.m.

Dear Peter:

Nice Kozuka. It will be interesting to learn who the artist is who made it. I especially like the combination of Mt. Fuji in the distance, with the waves and the clouds. I have a small mumei mokko shaped tanto tsuba with a similar style Mt. Fuji with silver snow motif in shibuichi with a shakudo cloud, and small gold highlights. Cool find. 

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much, Steve!

Bill, this is indeed a very interesting piece. It is not only well crafted, the design is also very good, it is clearly influenced by Zen-paintings, as the middle of the motif is nearly void, the Fuji, the trees and the waves are not in the center of the composition, instead there is nearly nothing. I hope, we will get more information about the signature as I am really curious about the artist.

Hi Morita san

I love how you often display the annotated image

I guess we all take a copy for refrence espectially the sosho example

Side by side it is much easier to spot the kanji'sosho differences but the 1st character would completly fox me

Grev UK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..