Tsuba School Identification

menpo

Hi gents!

I recently picked up this tsuba and have been identify what school it belongs to. The theme I think would be termed as bracken? The iron appears to be extremely good after I cleaned it up a bit and almost has a wet look! I found a very similar example in one of my old books but I can't translate the description. I was wondering what all your thoughts on it are and any help would be most appreciated!

Gethin

post-1030-0-45625900-1452436107_thumb.jpeg

post-1030-0-58799100-1452436143_thumb.jpeg

Well, remember that we could be wrong.

Sado Island has a very interesting history.

I don't know how the tsuba evolved, but they have a very distinct feel to them.

Masculine, often a bit 'heavy' or thick of appearance. Usually a refined iron with dark patina. Simpler yet strong designs.

Easy to imagine the needs of the island's maritime and mining influence on those who made them.

I haven't handled many. Yet the NBTHK is very consistent in labeling certain tsuba as 'Sado'.

My personal opinion is strongly that it is Sado.

Hi gents!

Thanks for all your replys! so the general opinion is that it may be Sado work! i need to study this school more as another tsuba i have could possibly be from the same school! the iron quality is similar only a lot smoother! Does anyone know of any books relating to sado island tsuba?

Thanks again

Gethin

post-1030-0-25327800-1452802197_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..