kantei

Darcy

Might as well be the first at bat...

Shinto Kanbun

Darani school (Kaga)

Katsukuni

Lack of sori pointed me towards shinto and away from early Kanemoto, on close inspection one can see clumps of nie built up in the valleys of the sanbon-sugi, Katsukuni is known for this.

That's my guess!!

Take #2 hehe

the nakago has kiri yasurime, clean cut mekugi... and something that I missed before, what looks to be a continuation of the hamon, there looks to be another peak or two of sanbon-sugi after the ha-machi... which leads me to think this blade is suriage, which could explain the sori, and open the door to koto. Kiri yasurime fits with Muramasa, not sure about Kanemoto.

The boshi is jizo, not ko-maru as in a lot of shinto blades... both Muramasa and early Kanemoto had jizo boshi but this one looks more like Muramasa to me.

Also, I may lean more towards Muramasa than Kanemoto due to the nie running along the hamon.

The main problem I have with kantei, and I think other people may too, is that the brain seems to want to grab onto an idea pretty quickly, then starts looking for things to justify what has been decided...

It's hard to keep your mind open for longer to continue to absorb details. The couple of details you just listed show the blade to be suriage and then kind of defeat the Shinto reading. Most shinto blades will have a nice middle sized round boshi as a standard feature. The boshi alone doesn't seal the deal, but should kind of shift the statistics.

What you see in the nakago though makes the blade suriage, and the sugata has to be judged in that way.

In particular though the big white square is on the nakago right there, and this is done to hide a mei in this kind of kantei. So you got some of the finer details, now consider the mei in context of the blade. There is some extra information that can be decoded just from knowing the mei is there.

The box is low, so the mei is unusually low on the blade, which would confirm it is suriage... but surprisingly, it is on the tachi side. So low down and on the tachi side, what does this tell you?

Also I forgot to mention that this blade is 58cm nagasa.

shape

suriage

irregular boshi

tachi mei

All point to koto

hamon ?

sanbon sugu with sunagashi OR maybe

TOGARI MITSU-GUNOME "Three-grouped" MIDARE BA. Wide, unevenly spaced valleys push against large mounding, two and three grouped GUNOME. The valley floor should incline to a small NOTARE roll or

unevenness. NIOI may reach from the valleys for the HA.

Profuse MURA KO-NIE and ARA-NIE sprinked like KAZUTATSU.

Pattern should be fairly equal on both sides of the blade.

MIDARE-KOMI BOSHI appears JIZO with long falling".(shi-shin.com)

points me to Muramasa

tk

Hi,

this blade seems to have a keicho shinto look, i don't think that it was suriage but perhaps machi-okuri;

About the mei, if it is Yamashiro no kami Kunikiyo (hirokawa school) his mei is often low down on the nakago and ends near the nakago jiri (that i should like to see).

Hada is not incompatible with this school one.

In any case there is a good occasion to learn something :D

I can't get mino out of my head too John...

Sengo Muramasa was the first thought that came to mind but took that out of my head per Darcy's advice. The togari gunome is too regular I think for muramasa.

Period: Early-Mid Muromachi

School: Naoe Shizu

Smith: Not sure but since it's Darcy posting be sure it's a big name. :D

I'd like to be wrong so I can learn a thing or two.

mike

Is tachi mei the only reason the mei might appear on the tachi side?

So it might be an Orikaeshi-mei ?

"When a sword is shortened by a smaller amount the signature and surrounding steel can be folder over the Nakago and onto the other side."

cheers,

Darn,

I was reading this on my cellphone the whole day, but couldn't reply from there. I was waiting the whole day to say it might be orikaeshi mei to me, only to see John and Martin pipped me to the post :D

Now we have to go back and take another look.

Will take a look at the high res pics and see what I can come up with.

Brian

Ok..both the orakaeshi mei (if we are correct) and the jizo boshi point to koto. Mid to late Muromachi?

Blade appears quite stout and although not easy to see with the nakago whited-out, it appears to be curving through the nakago. Shallow koshi sori?

Hamon looks to me to be nioi, with nie and sunagashi. Hada looks a little coarse? (Although my monitor profile is a bit dark and hard to make out)

Has definite Mino traits, but I'm leaning towards Soshu in the Mino tradition. With the Mino influence and ample sunagashi, long kaeri I am leaning towards Muramasa too, although there are a few points that lead me away from that.

Still an amateur at this. I would have to take a look at Masazane too to see if that is closer.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..