Mito Tsuba?

Shugyosha

Gentlemen,

I am planning to offer this tsuba for sale on the Board but thought that I would throw it open for comment before I do, not least of all so that I don't misdescribe it.

This is an oval sentoku tsuba 70mm x 65mm x 4mm signed Hiroyoshi with kao. Haynes (H 01449.0) has a Hiroyoshi working in Mito signing with these kanji but the kao does not match any of those listed with this entry in Haynes. This gentleman has work dated to 1841-1842.

The theme is that of a man leading a donkey through a mountain landscape. There is a similar design here, but I haven't been able to tie it down precisely:

https://www.scholarsresource.com/browse/artist/2142569414?page=5

Any comments on the quality of workmanship or the theme?

Many thanks, 

John

post-1332-0-15740800-1444564337_thumb.jpg

post-1332-0-56356400-1444564354_thumb.jpg

post-1332-0-18522400-1444564387_thumb.jpg

as you know John,

this kind of Tsuba is certainly not the stuff a Tsuba collector like me is used to.

as you know, mine focus was and is always early iron Tsuba only.

however, i think, this is a very nice exemplaire for collectors loving such stylism, taste and time.

what shall be wrong with the signature Bruno?

as you should know, the Mito school had many artists signing (and also not signing) their´s work....

i am but quite shure, somebody who has got the right literature on the Mito lineages, can easily track it for you John.

i think, this is a very nice exemplaire you do intend to offer here John!

Christian

• Like 1

Hi Bruno and Christian,

Many thanks for your replies. 

I agree, the mei doesn't seem to match, but I've exhausted my reference material as far as comparisons are concerned.

Christian - it's not exactly to my taste either: it's a bit too twee hence it's an easy candidate to move on as one of those examples that isn't in keeping with where I see the rest of my collection going.

Thanks once more,

John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..