Finally arrived

Widowmaker

Hello, everyone.

My nihonto arrived Saturday. I couldn't hold myself to try immediately cutting some papers to test its sharpness, It was holy easy. Every part of the edge can cut paper like butter effortlessly. A little bit heavy for me right now, it weights 1200g. I lack exercice for sure and my arms are not developped enough yet. The balance is about 8 cm on top of the tsuba.

the global condition is as Mint as the seller stated. A very healthy blade.

As I am often connected except for 5/6 hours sleep, there was a link to a photobucket where one could see about 20 pictures of the blade. Interesting hamon, kinsuji, sunagashi, irregular nioiguchi with mura nie, very interesting.

.....A little bit heavy for me right now, it weights 1200g.......The edge has mirror polish.....

Zhang,

is this a Japanese blade? Seems unusually heavy, and the edge should not have a mirror polish. At least this is what I am used to see.

Hello, Rokujuro, yes, it is a Nihonto. I would say that the weight is normal and average for a traditionnal Shinken. I think it is just I lack exercise and my arms don't have enough muscle yet. LOL.

Hi Zhang

You may want to practice cutting with a recently made shinken. :dunno:

Best regards

It is recent, anything later than 1900's is recent imo. I say cut away! :) If later in life if he decides to polish it then im sure years of use will be fixed in one polish anyway.

Great sword, your photos look way better than the ones from the dealer.

Id be happy with that. Btw is your profile picture Aizen? ;)

Trent S

Hi Zhang

You may want to practice cutting with a recently made shinken. :dunno:

Best regards

It is recent, anything later than 1900's is recent imo. I say cut away! :) If later in life if he decides to polish it then im sure years of use will be fixed in one polish anyway.

Great sword, your photos look way better than the ones from the dealer.

Id be happy with that. Btw is your profile picture Aizen? ;)

Trent S

I have been in the list of David Hofhine for a future polish. It will be done in two years... :shock: I think I have a lot of time.

LOL, yes, my profile is Aizen Sosuke, my favorite character in Bleach.(before he reveals his true nature).

It is recent, anything later than 1900's is recent imo. I say cut away! :) If later in life if he decides to polish it then i'm sure years of use will be fixed in one polish anyway.

Couldn't disagree more. :?

Luckily the smiths in the 1200's and 1300's didn't feel that way or we would have few old swords to appreciate.

Btw, polishing doesn't put back metal such as nicks and hagire.

Brian

I wonder if this is Nakata Kanehide who worked during WWII???? Workmanship is quite different (soshu nie versus bizen nioi). Possibly a different Kanehide?

Here is an example of a typical Nakata Kanehide ji-ba:

[attachment=0]nakata kanehide.jpg[/attachment]

Hi Chris, I have asked this to Yuji of Tokugawa arts sword. I am waiting for his answer. Thank you for the observation.

I wonder if this is Nakata Kanehide who worked during WWII???? Workmanship is quite different (soshu nie versus bizen nioi). Possibly a different Kanehide?

Here is an example of a typical Nakata Kanehide ji-ba:

[attachment=0]nakata kanehide.jpg[/attachment]

Hi Chris, I have asked this to Yuji of Tokugawa arts sword. I am waiting for his answer. Thank you for the observation.

Is it possible that in Japan, a smith's student can use the signature of his master if they forged the sword together?

Sure, but most students make work in line with their master.....I am not saying this can not be Nakata, just that the difference in work styles makes me wonder...

Couldn't disagree more. :?

Luckily the smiths in the 1200's and 1300's didn't feel that way or we would have few old swords to appreciate.

Btw, polishing doesn't put back metal such as nicks and hagire.

Brian

If the blade develops hagire and nicks from occasional proper cutting of bamboo mats, then it isn't a very good blade. He originally intended to buy the blade for practical use as well as enjoying it aesthetically, so I was hoping peoples comments didn't put him off using it as he intended.

I didn't mean to imply that blades from 1900 onwards are worthless, just that this one isn't an irreplaceable priceless antique that belonged to some Shogun and he should be scared to use it.

If I bought that sword I would have cut more than paper with it when it was unwrapped ;)

Trent S

LOL, yes, my profile is Aizen Sosuke, my favorite character in Bleach.(before he reveals his true nature).

He is one of my all time favourite characters as well. I don't think he really changed much at all, you just learn more about him as it went on :) Bleach got me into nihonto tbh xD :rotfl:

Trent S

......If the blade develops hagire and nicks from occasional proper cutting of bamboo mats, then it isn't a very good blade. He originally intended to buy the blade for practical use as well as enjoying it aesthetically, so I was hoping peoples comments didn't put him off using it as he intended.....

Trent,

I want to underline what Brian said. The thought of preserving and caring for NIHONTO requires knowledge, respect, and a certain humility when dealing with any traditionally handmade blade, not depending on its age or what it was purchased for. In your phantasy or your dreams you may feel like a SAMURAI, but in your dreams you don't damage good blades. :)

By the way, you should not try to cut bamboo mats. The traditional material is TATAMI OMOTE, a kind of rush. And of course you don't start any form of NIHONTO training with a sharp blade! :bang: Mouvements and muscles are trained with BOKKEN or a similar 'tool'.

It is indeed Nakata Kanehide; made when he was 72. Not exactly typical style for him...From the Sanmei web site, the hamon at the hamachi is a typical choji, then it changes to what appears to be midare. It was probably a bit cooler at the hamachi, and formed the choji, but hotter above and formed midare instead...Sometimes these things happen...

post-1462-14196930233045_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..