Gassan Sadakatsu on eBay

I guess you pays your money and you takeses your chances. Too bad the poster chose to not upload larger images, so its kind of hard to evaluate the workmanship and the fine points of the mei. I guess you can try and compare it to the various mei in Slough, or I've got an image of mine up:

http://www.rkgphotos.com/recent_stuff/t ... site_1.jpg

I'm not sure we're supposed to comment on active auctions, so I probably should shut up now.

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

You’ll find the whole gamut of buyer experiences. I’ve purchased from him in the past. Three swords were exactly as described and keepers. Another I returned without issue and received a full refund.

I am interested in the validity of the sword listed and nothing related to its purchase. Unfortunately, it seems I've stirred a hornet's nest about the seller. That was certainly not my intent.

You’ll find the whole gamut of buyer experiences. I’ve purchased from him in the past. Three swords were exactly as described and keepers. Another I returned without issue and received a full refund.

I am interested in the validity of the sword listed and nothing related to its purchase. Unfortunately, it seems I've stirred a hornet's nest about the seller. That was certainly not my intent.

Good for you. Glad you had a good experiennce. Read the posts. Bought two swords from him ok. Send him/her questions on a third sword and got blocked from bidding. If you see the posts you will see the same has happened before. It is a free country if you are comfortable buying from this seller go for it. Like I said, never, never again.

Good for you. Glad you had a good experiennce. Read the posts. Bought two swords from him ok. Send him/her questions on a third sword and got blocked from bidding. If you see the posts you will see the same has happened before. It is a free country if you are comfortable buying from this seller go for it. Like I said, never, never again.

It's been several years since I purchased from him so I have no current experience. FWIW, I did ask questions during the bidding process, got answers and didn't get blocked.

I have no opinion on whether it is shoshin or not. All I can say is that the mei is very nicely cut, as are the yasurime.

But reality, odds and logic all tell me it must be gimei. :dunno:

Surely one a seller would have sent to (a US) shinsa if it had a chance? If I were buying it, I would have to assume it was gimei. I suspect the winner will be gambling otherwise.

Brian

I’ve seen a lot of Sadakatsu blades (own/have owned several). I have no opinion on whether it is shoshin, but I'd like to share some of my observations:

1. The mei looks very finely cut, as does the yasurime. This would be typical of a Sadakatsu blade.

2. The Kao has a very long upward stroke on the right, which is atypical of Sadakatsu's mei.

3. It has been noted before that by 1940 there were one or more students making swords for Sadakatsu; therefore for swords signed by students there may be some variation in the mei. (Note: I am not saying this blade is made/signed by student).

4. In my opinion, the quality of the pictures do not give us a good idea of how far along the “older war polish” is in this case.

In my experience a non-ayasugi, less-than 27 inch, older war-polish Sadakatsu without mitsumune, shirasaya, gassan-style habaki, and NBTHK papers would likely go for somewhere about the original asking price that was offered.

@ Stephen: what makes you think the file marks were recently done? (I don't have an opinion either way, just wondering what methodology you used to come to that conclusion). Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..