Any publications desired?

I also got mails to revise my book on Koshirae. Well, I won´t revise it but what I think

I am going to do is to make available a bigger, color volume, quasi a Koshirae-Taikan.

And with "make available" I mean this is not going to be published but only available via

direct order over me as this will be a bigger and more expensive color book and the number

of expected sold copies will be in the lower double-digit range anyway.

I am going to the US towards the end of July where I focus solely on the already

mentioned bigger tosogu project. Away from my books, I will compile and the

"Koshirae-Taikan" before that time.

Markus -

Count me in on the revision - love your koshirae book but what it seriously lacks in the day and age is large, high rez photos that can be closely examined. A tall order I am sure but will love to see what you come up with.

-t

Hi All,

I think a more general book like this one would have larger target audience than more special books, even though we as a community might be more into very specific books.

I like this idea to, as most books available ( not all ) seem to target only " top end " or " museum quality " in detail whereas in reality a lot of us will never see, much less hold, swords of that calibre, ( I have been lucky ) and reading through some books, they have great detail of top end sword oshigata, sword description, smith history and family detail, ( I know this information is available from swords easily accessed in collections, museums etc ) however as we get down to the lower end smiths, not all this detail is available, but then some of us still collect these swords either by coincidence/availability, ie: what is available to us or money constraints, but we still chase the information that we require, and a lot of it is unavailable,

just my thoughts, only just wish full thinking Markus!

regards

John

Hi,

I totally agree to John's idea to also cover the non Top gendaito smiths. We all see the museum quality pieces in various references and catalogues, but most of us never come across such a blade. Personally I like good gendaitos from lesser know smiths (I avoid the Emuras and Nagamitsus) as gendaitos are generally "healthier" than koto blades and less expensive. As a gendaito collector, I have many english and Japanese references but they cover only a minority of gendai smiths. I really would appreciate a book that covers also lesser known gendai smiths with background information - similar to John Sloughs book with oshigatas. I would also be willing to provide pictures/oshigatas of my gendaitos

Stephan

I might be alone with this idea... :freak:

I would like to a book or part of book that surveys the mass produced koto swords, including types of Koshirae and defining characteristics. I also would like to see a work that surveys the different types of gimei and the techniques and reasons why they were applied. Maybe this survey could include diagnostic tools for spotting to determine the age of such a mei. It might make for a short book, but I would find it an interesting insert to any work on swords.

I applaud your work, thus far..kudos.... :bowdown:

Talking about a book of general interest for the mass of low/medium knowledge members, I think it may be very useful a manual with all the swordsmiths schools and branchs, well detailed also on shinto and shinshinto periods. The Robinsons' " A Primer of Japanese Sword blades" may be a starting point, looking for a book more agile and less dispersive than the Connoisseurs (moreover an idispensable book).

Renato

Hawleys produced a pamphlet for about $10 called Schools that covers although briefly what you are looking for.

I have it, but I'm thinking on a book more complete (roughly, half pages than Connoisseurs) to use togheter with Connoisseur during Kantei. In our association, we do it using Robinsons' "A Primer of Japanese Sword blades". May be very useful for beginners

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..