Masayasu gendaito question

Ed Hicks

I have owned a couple of Masa Yasu swords with different signatures and just saw another recently...Slough's book shows three totally different signatures...Any idea how many distinct variants exist...I assume there may be helpers signing some since they are so different...The sword I saw has a wild hamon with extremely active nioi and is of very good quality. Ed

post-2148-1419690289414_thumb.jpg

post-2148-1419690289747_thumb.jpg

post-2148-14196902903973_thumb.jpg

All the variations in the Mano Masayasu signatures, as well as the sheer numbers of them seen, point to a factory type of workshop. It is hard to say whose work is whose and whether or not there were several smiths or simply several different people signing them. Most I have seen have been rather utilitarian, practical pieces that while a step up from the usual Seki fare are a few ranks below the upper echelon.

Gentlemen,

I also have a Masayasu Katana and I would like to add something to the conversation regarding Shoshin Mei. It seems that there is a Kantei point that has been largely overlooked, or at least I have never seen it mentioned. Nakirishi mei aside, I have observed that every piece that has been deemed to be the work of the master smith, and not the students, has one little feature in common. Look at the very bottom of the Nakago. Every shoshin blade I have ever seen has the same punch mark at the bottom of the Mei. It appears in Slough as well. Thoughts?

I hope that adds something to the discussion.

Kurt K

post-4708-14196902973166_thumb.jpg

This punch mark on Masayasu swords has come up before I think ...check through Arsenal Stamps (I think) or search punch marks...I think it must be some kind of accounting system as, from memory it appears in single, double and triple style (I think they were all Masayasu).

With all the variations I don't know how one tells which is the shoshin mei.

Also, I have had a fair number of Masayasu in my hands over the years and would have to echo Chris' comment...good practical swords, but not in the realm of good gendaito (just my opinion based on what I have seen).

Hope this helps.

• 6 years later...

Trawling through old posts, and was searching for any information on (Mano) Masayasu, and stumbled on this one. So many different Mei. This Gendai-to is signed Bishu Ju Masayasu, in '94 mounts, so probably 1937ish, no date no stamps. It looks well made, with prominent Hada, Habuchi, and Hataraki. 

Sorry to revive such an old post, but it helps reference swordsmiths where information is scarce.  

a13.jpg

a12.jpg

a11.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..