translation for koto Katana-bishu osafune ju suke sada saku?

Hi everyone, I just acquired a new katana which I was told was signed bishu osafune ju suke sada saku. there is also possibly a date on the other side but the tang was grinded down during ww2 so its hard to make out. There is also some kanji on the kobutogane in silver which im un sure of. I was told the blade was made in the 1500's, can anyone please help with translation?

P.S: sorry about the poor photos and drawings.

Andy.W

post-4879-14196891595321_thumb.jpg

post-4879-14196891598583_thumb.jpg

post-4879-14196891602008_thumb.jpg

post-4879-1419689160417_thumb.jpg

post-4879-14196891607176_thumb.jpg

Andy,

I see "Bishu Osafune" but don't see "Ju" or "Saku." The remaining kanji don't look like "Sukesada" at all. I don't think the seller gave you the correct mei reading. As far as age goes, more pictures (of the overall shape and of the tip and of the area under the habaki) are needed.

Regards,

Hoanh

So the blade might be signed: bishu osafune sukemune (but I think there is more kanji than that), and is the kanji on the kobutogane possibly the soldiers name? shiono or shioya? Its a really nice sword and really light compared to showa era blades I have. I do believe its at least late 16th century as the seller said. it also has a mintamoto clan mon on it. So a lot of information and history with it. If any one else has any ideas on translation of mei and kanji on the kobutogane please let me know.

thanks,

Andy.W

I did a very rough drawing of what I see in person but my pen strokes are not the best as far as angles. I hope this can clarify things. Ive looked and cant see anything exactly the same but im no good with translation. If everyone agress it's: bishu osafune sukesada saku than im happy with that. Sorry John, you mean shiono or shioya is written on the kabutogane? is it the soldiers name or something else?

post-4879-14196891766657_thumb.jpg

I don't recall seeing many shortened blades where they cut the sides of the nakago to make it thinner to fit a tsuka, - especially cutting the original mei almost in half in the process :dunno:

I suppose to get the right size it could have been required but one would think if at all possible the mei should be kept intact ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..