Changes in sori

Ken-Hawaii

Hi,

It's a math problem Jacques and your reading comprehension is not very good, so you should re-read the exact words and think about it before posting instead of just reacting. I realize I may have just made a "new best friend" out of you but I'd still like to discuss things with you like a normal person.

Thanks for ad hominem.

Deep curve in the area of a nakago does a few (objective) things and I think helps answer some questions.

1. in a tanto, a mete-zashi in this case, makes it easier to get at and draw the weapon. Form following function here it is clear they were thinking about the draw.

We saw that it is not true. Know i know what i must do, leave you on side.

Sori was invented to make the sword cutting better nothing else. Bushi were not Hollywood cowboys and tachi not made to fight on foot. You need to learn Japan warfare history more seriously.

When man doesn't know, man keeps quiet, never forget that sentence.

Edit for typo.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think neither the shape of nakago (furisode) nor the unusual placement of mei on a Tanto (Kunimitsu) is indicative for metezashi. Metezashi style can be applied to any short, thick and stout Tanto...the wearing on the right side, edge down, in special koshirae, makes it used as metezashi style.

About „metezashi“ in NBTHK Journals:

This shape originated at the end of the Muromachi period by one of the Sunshu Shimada smiths. Sukemune made a tanto in this shape and he carved “Osoraku” hirakana on the tanto, and the name of this style came from this. In the beginning, this was supposed to have been Takeda Shingen’s treasured tanto, and according to the Umetada Meikan, it later belonged to Katagiri Katsumoto’s son Takatoshi ( Izumo no kami). Originally, the tanto was made to be used in a metazashi style (to be worn on the right side, so in close combat it could be used to cut an enemy’s neck). In general usage, the osoraku name refers to this kind of strange tanto shape which was never seen before. Another opinion is given in the Token Bijutsu Magazine’s No. 45 issue (Showa 32) where Tsujimoto Naoo wrote that this style tanto was very fearful to look at and couldn’t be compared to other tantos, so the smith put the word “osoraku”on it.

(NBTHK Nr. 677, June 2013)

There is a famous tanto nicknamed ‘Osoraku-zukuri’ by Sukemune and owned by Katagiri Katsumno. Four hiragana of ‘O So Ra Ku’ are carved on the tanto and it means ‘Perhaps’ (Perhaps, no tanto in this shape could exist)

(TB No. 599 Nihon Koto Shi)

post-369-14196885937608_thumb.jpg

Sword curvature does not belong to Japan and has been used in western countries and eastern countries for centuries. It must be noted that both the straight pattern (sword) and the curve one (saber) have subsisted in // for centuries, none seems to have gain superiority in the matter of cutting ability. Saber is undoubtedly better for slashing than straight sword.

I would like to add that samurai were not people to be triffled with and that their life depended on their weapon. Change in sori, length .. have mainly been made during war times so I let anyone decide what was the reason which brought these changes of sori: fashion or necessity/efficacity.

Meanwhile, I am locking this thread.