A mistake

kissakai

Hi

I am not a collector of Katana but as a martial artiste I have always wanted a traditionally made katana

I bought a katana from Japan a few weeks ago. It was a shame I didn’t read the excellent article posted earlier, ‘Tips for collecting Nihonto’.

After reading the article there were so many things I did wrong so I thought I could use this as an example to other new collectors and invite comments good or bad

It was bought as Edo period but this is a huge range and there is no guarantee it is not post Edo

No other authentication apart from the sizes below although slight flaws were detailed

Dimensions

Length with koshirae is 99.5cm 39”

Blade length is 91.3cm 36”

Temper length is 69.9cm 27 ½“

Sori is 1.2cm ½”

Width is 3.3cm 1 ¼“

Thickness is 0.7cm ¼“

It was bought in polish

Buying without seeing it is dangerous and especially with no authentication

I am quite happy with the katana although I may have paid too much

Any information would be appreciated including value and I do have broad shoulders so fire away!

PS customs was a real problem but eventually I did legitimately get it through

I found taking these pictures was difficult with the light and reflections

Full

w1wle9.jpg

Boshi

2z7ock0.jpg

Hamon

i74c49.jpg

Tang

34dkbnq.jpg

Grev UK

Grev,

Looks like you actually got a pretty nice sword there. Maybe you went about it the wrong way but you ended up with something not bad at all, well done on that front.

Please share with the board your UK customs story. Im sure it was a lovely experience. I have discovered only one way around this farce - FedEx - who as a company clearly bungs HM's Customs to keep their business model in check; if customs looked at all FedEx packages their model would collapse and the company would go OB. There must be something lubricating the wheels.

Thanks for comments it appears I have been lucky :D

Martin - What pictures would you like? Images of the blade are a nightmare with the light and reflection. I will be seeing someone who is more adapt at this than me so maybe some more

Alex

I had the dreaded letter about my swords being seized. The letter shows some bullet points one of these I felt I complied with so I sent this letter (it has been shortened)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parcel declaration - Katana Wakizashi for display with wood Korhirae

The parcel declaration should have read - Katana Wakizashi for a martial arts instructor with wood Korhirae

I comply with this bullet point:

• It is for a martial arts club or sporting activity and third partly liability insurance is held

I have been a martial art instructor since 1976.

(I’ve removed all the details to stop people falling asleep)

I hold the highest coaching level (level 3) that is awarded by the Governing body. I am also the Coaching Administration Officer for the Governing body was instrumental in providing the Weapons protocol.

I then submitted my insurance details and the website with my qualifications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can print all the bullet points (exceptions) and my full reply if anyone is interested but this will only be of use to UK members

Mariusz –It was my first sword purchase from hintendo along with a ‘long’ wakizashi. I will put the wakizashi images up later. No wonder you guys don’t miss anything! How on earth could you tell it was a hintendo sale from one small image – I’m impressed :shock:

Can I come back to my original question about information about this katana, old, new, style etc. I also meant to ask about the hole right at the end of the nakago. Isn’t this an unusual place to have a hole and is it any indication of age? The condition of the nakago is consistent throughout so I’m sure it hasn’t been shortened.

Grev UK

Dear Sir,

I am new on NMB.

Dozo Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu.

just small comment from 2nd Photo.

very nice clear photo of Kissaki.

When i see the Kissaki,

Yokote line should be

from

the point of line of Boshi/Kissaki (round line) and Starting monouchi (straight line)

to

Mitugashira at Shinogi line.

as you see carefully, Yokote line is moved, maybe 1 or 2 mm down,

so, Kissaki looks bigger....

and as we know the process of Shiage(final) Polishing,

Yokote line and polishing Boshi ( Narume ) is the last stage after Jizuya and Hazuya on Monouchi,

so, Yokote line stays clear.

But, this blade. The Hadori (Hazuya stone) has done AFTER Yokote line.

so, Yokote line stoped at White Ha parts.

This work has done by Japanese. not immature mistake, they know what they are doing.

wonder why ???

so, when i see that kind small question mark, Always Consideration of the point,

in this case, we must make sure, there is Live Hamon all way through cutting edge.

sometime, Nioi-gire ( missing parts of Hamon ) or sometime No-hamon. I can not see and judge from the Photo.

Please don't feel offended.

to checking item from eBay needs extra attention, i think.

and Attaching pic of Normal Polished Kissaki to compare.

by polishing, Ha looks white. Ji is black on Monouchi, and Ha is dark and Ji is white on Boshi.

and you see the Nie (dot) at Nioi-kuchi.

Best regards.

post-4263-14196843374535_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look suriage to me. Look at the hamon and how it runs off the blade after the hamachi. This indicates that by design the ha ends there. The mekugi ana near the jiri was most likely placed there later on as this sword was probably used for tamagashiri. The missing yokote line in the hamon, due to poor regard during a touch up, likely means that this blade was cleaned up for resale by the owner or the dealer.

There was a topic recently on: Using a nihonto for cutting.

During the discussion a Japanese member noted the different kind of new or antique blades that would be used for cutting and more or less grouped into being considered as "possibly" expendable. This one may have been considered worthy of use in a dojo and expendable to someone. But that does not necessarily mean it isn't a decent blade, still collectable, or worthy of preservation.. Less to the wealthy=more to the poor. But don't worry!! Regardless- it's a good first nihonto for a martial artist. :)

Josh

Thank you all for your help

I was expecting some 'cutting' :lol: comments about poor selection and why. I know more about polishing and some pointers to see if the nakago has been shortened and one reason why there is a hole at the end of the nakago.

It would be impossible to ask any more about the origins of this katana but would anyone hazard a guess at it's age?

I have Hawley's 'Introduction to Japanese Swords, a small booklet published in 1973. In this he talks about age related rust condition assuming that the rust has not been faked. Basically, no rust or red rust spots = up to 75 years: Firm dark rust = 100 to 300 years old and deep corroded rust = over 400 years old. Can any of this information be applied to my katana or is it to open to conjecture

Grev UK

Grev,

do not confuse rust and rust-pitting with good patina. Grab Nobuo Nakahara's "Facts and Fundamentals.." and read about what a good nakago should look like.

Well, this one looks like it has been exposed to aggressive red rust. Do not try to read any age from it.

Hi Grev, I recently brought a small Wakizashi ( This one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/251045946560? ... AQ:US:1123 ) from Hitendo and was very pleased, especially when I saw the sword in the flesh. It has lots to study, in good condition, papered, silver Habaki and all for £600..... I think he has a good selection of low priced swords and while many are very ordinary, some are great value. The main thing is, he is not charging silly money, which many of the e-bay dealers do. Certainly a good place to start if you don't want to spend $5,000 upwards on a sword if you are starting out in this hobby. The guys here will always tell you to buy the best you can afford, and this is advice I have tried to follow. Indeed this sword was a departure for me, I only brought it to go in a nice Koshirae I had, so when it turned out to be a nice blade as well, I was very pleased. So, no I don't think you made a mistake, and if you hang out here a while, you will pick up all sorts of really useful help and tips..

Regards Mark

Hi Mark

Nice reasurance - thanks

I'm about half way through the suggested book Japanese swords and I thought it started very well then I lost the plot a bit with all the fine details

I will put up the pictures for the Wakizashi I bought at the same time in the next couple of days

Grev UK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..