Beginner Here, What Are Your Thoughts On This Katana?

Dear members,

As a beginner in this collecting-field (just bought one shin gunto so far with help from the forum) I am thinking about bidding at this object at a auction i Scandinavia. They date it to early 20th century, does that seem right?

What are your thoughts on this katana? There is no pictures of the nagako, so I understand that it is hard to tell.

There is some damages, yes. 

I think the ashi looks a bit army like to me? (Bear in mind that I´m used to look at western arms).

post-4629-0-77389200-1539017707_thumb.jpg

post-4629-0-74510800-1539017721_thumb.jpg

post-4629-0-24286600-1539017734_thumb.jpg

Peter,

the pictures don't show enough to make a guess. As Stephen said, close-ups of the NAKAGO (not nagako) would help. The SAYA looks dubious and while it makes an impression of an army item as well as the TSUKA, it is probably not genuine.

In any case, this is not a blade I would consider to buy as the KISSAKI seems to be heavily damaged.

• Like 1

Late war Naval/Civilian sword. Koshirae is a mismatch of WWII Naval and civilian parts. Value would be mostly in the blade (which is in very poor condition) and the oddity of the mounts.

I wouldn't advise purchasing this unless the cost was well under 500usd 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..