Translation help

Curran

Could someone help translate the gaki on the tsuba box pictured below.

The box itself is interesting. I have never seen a tsuba box constructed this way, and the box seems very old. Perhaps the oldest non lacquer tsuba box I have ever seen. Constructed with many little wooden pegs, so despite its age it is still fairly airtight.

post-51-14196734049609_thumb.jpg

using my newly found dictionary online (see gen discussion forum)

shakudou 赤銅

Lit. gold bronze. Ornamental metal fittings, *kazarikanagu 飾金具 made of an amalgam of copper with about 6 percent gold and 3.5 percent silver. The material acquires a blackish-purple shine when steeped in a solution of copper sulphate, ryuusandou 硫酸銅, copper rust, *rokushou 緑青,and alum, myouban 明礬.

cheers

Thank you very much. That would describe the tsuba inside very well. I must learn the kanji for the various metals.

I will upload a photo tomorrow. The tsuba has some of the best shakudo I have seen, but is very highly reflective.

It is a nice Yasuchika tsuba dated 1853 and commissioned for a Mr. ???

Curran

Of course, -you are right Milt.

It was very late and I was not thinking correctly. This box came with a different tsuba- but that tsuba was iron and it is not signed. So I think this box has long since lost its original tsuba. The tsuba that came with the box is currently in Japan for papers, and I have been keeping the Yasuchika in this box.

My very bad mistake.

I will post the Yasuchika tonight, so perhaps I can get a correct read on the signature.

Curran

Hi Curran, I have a wak size tsuba that is so shiny it is mirrorlike and has often made me wonder if a mirrorlike finish was the result of time rather than chemical treatment. The colour and depth are wondrous. Some shakudo I have of lower quality seem to have had a treatment that actually reeks and tastes awful. John

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:57 am Post subject: Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you very much. That would describe the tsuba inside very well. I must learn the kanji for the various metals.

I will upload a photo tomorrow. The tsuba has some of the best shakudo I have seen, but is very highly reflective

Some shakudo I have of lower quality seem to have had a treatment that actually reeks and tastes awful. John

so you are the one that tastes the tsuba and all the time i thought it's an urban myth !!

so waht does it taste like ? Like biting on a piece of tin foil ? :badgrin:

milt THE ronin

Hi Milt, I recieved a goto fuchgashira a year ago that had a spurious signature and upon discussion, with much wiser tosogu fans than me, decided was not a good signature. It was upon handling them that my fingers warming them I noticed a strong odour. I wanted to see if the patina would rub off, it didn't. I don't do it as a rule but just tasted it for some unknown reason. Ugh, some kind of sulphurous chewing tobacco taste. I had heard of this before as well and maybe that is why, but, it could indicate chemical treatment newly applied giving a hint of age or lack thereof. Don't know. John

This is a 6th Gen Yasuchika. It is signed on the back, though I don't have a photo of the back yet. I'm hoping the photo will upload.

This tsuba is hard to capture. Even with a light hood on, it was highly reflective (as John stated). It is not the best shakudo I have ever seen, but in the 9 out of 10 range. Jim Gilbert had one which reminded me of gas floating on black-blue water. It does make most people pause who see it in hand.

Anyway, I like the tsuba. In a moment of absentmindedness- I thought it came in the box that started this thread...

post-51-14196734101009_thumb.jpg

I took a scanner version too. It has come out a little discolored, but you get the idea.

安政三丙辰季冬 (Ansei san Hinoe-Tatsu Kitou)

late winter in 1856

應田宮則須君需

responding to Mr. Tamiya Norimochi's order

Actually, the translations also teach me a good lesson. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..