Sonoba Family Kogai By Teruchika (Kao)

Ron STL

I'm trying to confirm that I've got the correct Teruchika (Haynes H 09555.0) of the Sonoba family, ca. 1800s work. If someone would have the Bauer Collection book, a mei is supposed to be on p.438 and maybe again on p.319 according to Haynes references. Hopefully his kao will match up with the one on this very beautiful kogai that I've owned for quite a few years. Always a story: the late Rad Smith bought this from an early fittings collector, Larry Vanice who had it papered in the 1970s. Rad later sold it to me. Makes me wonder how many collectors today remember these guys. It was fun collecting back then, for sure.  Ron STL

post-1311-0-22319100-1530135985_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-77177100-1530136001_thumb.jpg

post-1311-0-53534600-1530136019_thumb.jpg

Hi Ron,

I missed this thread. I'll pull the Baur Collection and look later.

Baur Collection is a great book and largely reliable. I haven't found any major fault with it, though its cross referencing takes some getting accustomed to using properly.

It is a shame it is so expensive, as it has a lot of interesting examples in it that we don't see in other texts.

Glad you found this posting, Curran. I bought the Bauer book when it came out but soon traded it for a pair of textbook ko-Mino menuki from Keith Hostler, I think. (When we were much younger!) If the kao looks right in Bauer, that should be the same man Haynes indexed. Have a more clear photo attached here. Brian, I checked Markus' signature book but did not find anything there. As always, thanks for the help when help is needed. Ron STL

post-1311-0-32313900-1530306832_thumb.jpg

"signature correlates on all the important points and is engraved confidently without hesitation"

That is much better said by Steven.

(I) "Important Points" The ever so slight variations are natural. My signature certainly has changed a little over my half a lifetime and isn't quite the same as it was 10 years ago.

The way or flow of it and the various strikes seems so naturally the same on all the important points.

(II) As a relative newbie years ago- I attended a lecture by Tanobe-san given here in Tampa. His topic was about determining gimei, and he went to great lengths to illustrate examples where the signature matched closely- but the chiselwork showed much more chip-chip hesitation. I would call it "stutter steps". That hesitation was the only obvious difference to my untrained eyes. Over time, I've greatly grown to appreciate what Tanobe-san was conveying to us back then.

• Like 2

Thanks Alex and everyone else who helped with confirming this mei and kao. I'm impressed. I also was at the Tanobe lecture in Tampa and came away with much more understanding on judging mei than I had before. I recall Mr. Tanobe's comments when confirming the mei on my Naotane, specifically referring to the "flow" of his mei and kakihan used at that specific date. I do find it more difficult to judge mei and kao on fittings, though. If the workman ship fits what would be expected for the carver, I'm hopeful, only to find the often very tiny signature, kao and sometimes seal that looks so good is bounced by the shinsa team. Even the late Edo carvers who signed "big names" on fitters did an amazing job using hammers and chisels. And yes, Tanobe san is indeed a great teacher, a sharing teacher to all of us.  Ron STL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..