4 replies to this topic

#1 eternal_newbie

eternal_newbie

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia, Australia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

Not sure if this should be in the Izakaya or Translation section, but here goes:

A few years ago, I bought an interesting kakejiku with a sort of collage of five paintings of birds framed by geometric shapes, each with a different signature (making it a gassaku work, if I'm not mistaken) to hang on a wall that we were renovating. The renovation got delayed, then when it finally went through we ended up placing a sofa against it. The kakejiku remained in its tube for a while until we decided to move the sofa - at which point it's now coming back out to go on the wall.

I'm now curious to know a bit more about the painting, so was interested to see if anyone here would like to take a crack at either translating the signatures or analyzing the paintings themselves. I can say that it is in good condition, is rather wide - from roller end to roller end it's just over 100cm long - and is either from the Kano school of painting or inspired by that school. I'm not particularly interested in selling it (just wanted something nice to cover the wall), but on the off chance that it's actually valuable I thought it'd be better to get it checked out before leaving it exposed to the daily dust, wind and sunshine it would get from being on display.

Full gallery with closeups of signatures is here: http://members.iinet...ku/gallery.html

01.JPG

-- Rohan

#2 k morita

k morita

Tsu-ji

• Members
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:51 AM

Hi,

Attached Thumbnails

• 5-Kano-school.jpg

• Brian, Stephen, Ken-Hawaii and 3 others like this
K Morita

#3 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:54 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

As always, fantastic.

• Greg F likes this

- Admin -

#4 eternal_newbie

eternal_newbie

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia, Australia

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

:bowdown:

Thank you very much for your time and expertise, Morita-san! Time to do some research on those names - although some of them sound a bit too "big" for what I spent on this.

-- Rohan

#5 Ken-Hawaii

Ken-Hawaii

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationKaneohe, Hawaii, USA

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:21 AM

Rohan, you never know what you're going to find when you go to what we call garage sales. About 25 years back, I spent $5 on a very large tapestry made of tapa in Tonga, only to have a guest excitedly tell me last year that it should be in a museum, & is darn near priceless. It's some kind of Royal Tongan celebration from more than a century ago, but it still just hangs in my greatroom. You may have been lucky, too - I like your kakejiku. And of course Morita-Sensei has done his usual bang-up job of making translations look easy.

Ken

• eternal_newbie likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: translation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq