Yari Questions

Hot Fuzz

Hey all, this is my first post here on NMB.

I bought this yari (blade length is approximately 6" and from what I understand, it is a ryo-shinogi yari) recently at a flea market. I am an amateur when it comes to collecting, and was hoping that the forum could offer some insight into what exactly I have got here. The dealer was not completely certain about the piece's origin, just that it is likely Edo period. More informed speculation is much appreciated, anything that may offer some insight into the yari.

I have attached some pictures, hopefully they help. 

Thanks for all input!

R.B.

post-3219-0-22383700-1427513822_thumb.jpg

post-3219-0-13916200-1427513832_thumb.jpg

post-3219-0-67554600-1427513834_thumb.jpg

post-3219-0-11097200-1427513838_thumb.jpg

post-3219-0-39770300-1427513840_thumb.jpg

post-3219-0-76878500-1427513842_thumb.jpg

post-3219-0-71911500-1427513845_thumb.jpg

I am no expert but it looks like the real deal to me, somewhat out of polish, and i can't tell much more from the photos. is it signed? What a great flea market find, wish I had a flea market like that here!

RB, we require at least a first name please.

You won't get much more than the fact that it is real and Japanese. Unless signed, it would be very hard to tell more, except the fact that it isn't very early, so likely mid to late Edo. Nice one though.

Brian

Thanks for the responses guys.

It isn't signed, but it interesting that you think that the nakago may have been cut down. I was thinking the same thing since there are two mekugi-ana, and they are placed rather low relative to what I have seen on other yari. I have heard that the edo period saw many yari cut down and used for home-defense purposes. Also I have seen kago yari used on palanquins during this time, and from what I understand, they had extraordinarily long nakago, but are very rare. So I figured it is likely one of these two kinds of yari, but more likely the former.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..