Hello,

I am in London next week or the week after and I wonder if someone can suggest me some places where to go to see some good Nihonto. What about the British Museum or the V&A. Are they worth visiting just for seeing Nihonto?

Thanks and regards

Stephan

Yes, they are definitely worth it. I was at the V&A last spring, beautiful swords and fittings on display, as well as netsuke and all kinds of lacquer work. Stunning to say the least; I took more pics of that section than any of the others, and that was before I even got into nihonto!

cheers,

/steve

Hi Stephan,

If you have time you could also pop into the Greys Antique market on Davies street ( between Barclay square and Oxford street ). You'll find Don Bayney there, he deals exclusively in Nihonto and fittings so you'll get a chance to get your hands on some blades. He's a decent chap, say "Hi" for me if you do go. The running horse above, is good for a pint too. :)

cheers, Ford

Hi Stephan,

Based on a recent visit (mid. April ) I would say that the British Museum is best avoided unless you are looking for non nihonto items. There was very little on display , and what was on show was mounted too far back in the display cases to give anything more than a general impression.

The Japanese Gallery is as far away as you can get from the main entrance - at the back and on the top floor - but it is interesting for a more general view of Japan and its arts , showing some nice netsuke for instance. It is possible to arrange for a private viewing of the extensive sword collections - you will need to contact them by e-mail . Some form of accreditation/references will probably be required.

If you do decide to go to the British Museum then it might be worthwhile checking out the bookshop located near the entrance to the section housing the Japanese Gallery.

The V&A is, usually , a better choice - I understand that it is also sometimes possible to arrange private viewings there.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Last time I was in Lonon I delt with Don at his shop in The Grey Antique. He is a really nice dealer lets you stay in his little shop and look every thing he has. Even the good quality items he sometimes have stashed away

trygves

Hi Stephan,

I've known Don for a few years now and he is a freindly, knowledgeable chap with good stuff.

Whatever time you have allowed yourself to go and see Don, Treble it :lol: :lol:

I agree with Ford, a good pint can be had above.

Have a good time in London.

Regards

Mark

Visited the V&A a few years ago and there were only a few blades on show, maybe things have changed?

If you not seen it here is the link to all the swords that went on display on the Cutting Edge Exhibition at the BM in 2004/05. It was taken with my old SLR that werent so good. Also aware that a number of excellent swords that were missing from the display.

http://www.pbase.com/shinsakuto/sword&page=all

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..