Sword I.D. help please

Tesla_HV

Hello,

This is my first post so please bear with me if this is the wrong forum to post this request in. I own a sword that was once my great uncles who was a Marine in WWII. He brought this sword back. It is in fair shape in my opinion but the handle is beginning to fall apart. First of all, I would like to identify this sword so that I can ask some restoration questions in the correct forum. I apologize for the poor photography. Thanks in advance for the help.

Monty

post-3155-14196818067201_thumb.jpg

Mark,

Thank you for the reply. It seemed to me to be a regular production sword rather than a fine heirloom. Would it be advised to just leave it alone in its present condition rather than have it restored? The handle is beginning to fall apart.

Thanks again,

Monty G.

depends on your purpose, if economic best to leave it alone as restoration will cost more than the increased value, if sentimental then do as you wish, but restoration is expensive. If you do not do anything you can wrap the handle in "saranwrap" or clear plastic wrap to keep it from getting worse, you can put a light coat of oil on the blade (there is a lot of info on care available).

Mark,

How can you tell it is machine made from only those pics? Whilst likely...not enough info to make that call. Can you post a pic of the tang so that we can see who made it?

Brian

The tang is a bit rusty and I chose not to mess with it and clean it. Again sorry for the low quality pics...

Tang 1:

post-3155-14196818083958_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..