Various Katanakake

Coming a little late to this thread, but anyhow, here's my favorite Daishôkake; it easily can be disassembled (for travelling, I guess) and has Aoi no Gomon in Takamakie (gold), Hiramakie (Kin-nashiji) and Togidashi. On the backside is another, bigger one in Takamakie - unfortunately the finely raised lines within the Takamakie Mon don't show in my pictures. It's signed, but I don't know the artist - can anyone with knowledge of lacquer artists identify him?

post-13-14196818282035_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196818284019_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196818285836_thumb.jpg

An unusual collapsible Kake for two swords, the rests positioned on both sides. There are on the roiro-nuri Aoi mon in hiramaki-e (low lacquer design) as well in togidashi (completely flush with the ground) but I cannot make out neither takamaki-e (high relief lacquer) nor nashiji (pear-skin) -nuri...possibly the third mon from left on the front side.

Eric

An unusual collapsible Kake for two swords, the rests positioned on both sides.
No, just on top and on one side.
There are on the roiro urushi Aoi mon in hiramaki-e (low lacquer design) as well in togidashi (completely flush with the ground) but I cannot make out neither takamaki-e (high relief lacquer) nor nashiji (pear-skin) urushi...possibly the third mon from left on the front side.
As I said before: the solid gold ones are in Takamakie, and the third one from the left is Hiramakie in Nashiji.

Whilst we are on the topic, has anyone ever seen a stand that is intended just for a naked blade? The pic attached is of one that I have which is just a copy I made of an old one my sensei used to own. I use this for when I need somewhere to put the blade during cleaning, when I need both hands free (Putting oil on cloth, refolding washi paper etc). I have never seen similar for sale. What would this be called in Japanese (apart from a crappy copy by a dumb Gaigin).

post-1773-14196818334028_thumb.jpg

Blade only kake:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10292032 ... banner=pwa

There is one in Ford's photo folders above. Third row in the katanakake section.

Guido:

I have been told that the different Tokugawa lines had slight variations in their Tokugawa mon.

Is this true? Source was a respected individual, but it may be more Nihonto modern urban legend than fact.

Eric,

I just collect books and pictures stolen from other websites or web shops... ;) So no, the objects aren't mine and hopefully the real owner won't be upset if I posted the pictures :thanks:

L

That is a dangerous game to play. What you are doing leaves you open to legal action when you post such material on the Internet without permission of the copyright holder.

James

James,

Once posted in the public domain on the intenet, without a solid copyright notice and proof of ownership, and then saved and shared somewhere else online, not for commercial gain at all, but in the name of education, and across international borders?

Let's just say that it would be a very hard one to prosecute, and I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it. There are worse things to worry about.

Brian

James,

Once posted in the public domain on the intenet, without a solid copyright notice and proof of ownership, and then saved and shared somewhere else online, not for commercial gain at all, but in the name of education, and across international borders?

Let's just say that it would be a very hard one to prosecute, and I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it. There are worse things to worry about.

Brian

That is simply not the case, Brian. Displaying a notice of copyright ownership has not been a requirement for some time now in International copyright law (Berne Convention) and posting or publishing on the Internet does not consign intellectual property to the Public Domain.

I think the following link provides good down to earth Copyright usage information:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

I am an advocate for as much free use of online material as possible and I believe that Creative Commons licensing is an excellent means to that end.

Follow this link for more information

James

Lorenzo,

I don't think (Italian) olive wood photographs properly.

It is a beautiful wood and takes on some depth of personality in time.

I have a picture frame we made of olive wood from where I was working in Italy almost 20 years ago. We chose particularly good pieces for the construction.

It has aged incredibly well.

I also remember an architect's house outside of Siena about 25 minutes or so. He'd used in in a variety of ways in the restoration of his home. It left a strong memory.

In contrast, olive wood pieces brought back from southern Spain 10 years ago have not aged nearly as well.

Piers,

The very first photo you listed with the plain dark wood kake-

where did that image come from? Know what sort of wood that is? I'd like to see more photos of it as an aide for a small modern kake design.

Only just noticed your last comment, Curran. It's at home, but I am not sure what the wood is. It could be 紫檀 rosewood from memory. If I can remember to put it in the car this evening, I'll ask a clever friend for a second opinion, oh, and I'll take a couple more shots of it.

Piers, I've seen similar stands in Japan quite often (Tôken Shibata on Ginza sells a "deluxe version" with Ramma Sukashi in the front part), and they are indeed made of rosewood. I heard they are made in Indonesia, since wood and labor is much cheaper there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..