New Member and First Acquisition...would love more info

Phenomena

Again I want to thank the generous and knowledgable members here. Very glad to have found this board!

Just picked this up and was told it is a BIZEN OSAFUNE SUKESADA. If this is true from looking it up I would think it should be an Eisho piece? The blade is 18" and does seem to have a few flaws but me being a newbie I do not know how bad these flaws are. The Fuchi does need repair which makes for a loose Tsuba but I assume this can be fixed. If more specific pictures are needed please let me know.

Thanks!

1.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

The shape looks right for late Koto Bizen... possibly of mass produced quality... unfortunatly the blade looks to have a mirror like finish that doesn't allow you to view the details of forging. The mei reads Bishu Osafune ju Sukesada and looks very poorly done... The nakago looks rough altogether... I'm not sure where your getting Eisho from, although it is a possibility...

Overall, I'd say this may have been an OK first Nihonto for someone if it were in proper polish... but

from the pics it looks like there's not much to study in it's current condition...

All that being said, I've seen alot worse first purchases than this, and mine wasn't much better either, so...

at least it's not a fake...

Hello Phenomena, please sign with real name as per rules, the NMB will thank you.

A loose tsuba is not ncessarily a bad thing. Usually fixed by a thicker seppa, change of tsuba, or playing around with a mekugi.

Hi Piers, careful with words and newbies. It seems obvious enough exactly what you mean when saying a loose tsuba is not necessarily a bad thing here, but newbies may misunderstand. There should be no play in a properly fitted koshirae!

A loose tsuba is not ncessarily a bad thing. Usually fixed by a thicker seppa, change of tsuba, or playing around with a mekugi. What is wrong with the fuchi?

Fichi is missing a decent size piece, that can be seen here, making the total assembly pretty loose. I haven't the slightest clue where to bring it. From the assessment this doesn't seem like a piece that would be worth investing much more in but I would like it to be solid. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm in Los Angeles.

issue.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..