Any Clues ???

Hi Ed,

I guess that the hanging scroll was made in about several years before from 1933 because the present Emperor(Akihito) is not in the photograph.

Or, the hanging scroll was produced in 1933. Akihito was born in 1933.

Purpose?

The purpose is to show the peoples great prosperity of the empire.

Dear Ed,

If we are to assume the poster is nothing more than a statement of providing the peoples of Japan with an indication of their country's great prosperity, ... why then only propaganda of a Militaristic theme. I see here no poster showing advancement of Industry, nor Scientific achievements. What I see is a direct correlation to what was going on in Germany at the time, ... 1933 being the year Hitler was appointed Chancellor of the Reichstad. The poster is one of Militaristic aggresiveness, ... nothing less.

... Ron Watson

PS: See Japanese aggression in Manchuria.

Ron, I think Mr Morita's satatement is nevertheless still true "The purpose is to show the peoples great prosperity of the empire."

There were similar things produced for the British Empire too. Prosperity was seen to be built and maintained by the Navy.

Presumably in Japan the Manchurian colonies were funding the military and very few Japanese nationals at that time (except for those in jail) had any doubt that the future would indeed be glorious.

Thank you for your replies.

Of course it is a display of military power or prosperity. Not to say that the Japanese Military were non aggressive in their conquests, but combined with the family photos at the top, I do not get a feel of aggressiveness in this particular scroll. If it is aggressiveness, it is very passive aggressive IMHO.

Another member suggested that perhaps it was a commemorative scroll, perhaps given as a gift or sold at a Naval Ceremony.

Perhaps it was displayed or sold to the public simply to instill pride in the Navy, Military and Nation. Not an uncommon practice for any country. Personally, I feel more in line with what this scroll was meant to convey.

Without any direct reference, I suppose all there is, is speculation.

Again, thanks for the input.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..