Any comments?

Jean

Either a drunken polisher or camera angle problems.

Check the first picture of the side by side nakago. The lines look straight in that shot, though the shinogi is somewhat crooked.

Perhaps this points at some 'bending' of the nakago but I don't think so based on the resultant nakago.

This is just an impression.

The shinogi of the blade does not carry smoothly to the shinogi of the nakago. The nakago seems to be at a strange angle to the rest of the sugata ie, it angles rather awkwardly toward the mune edge at the point between the machi and where the patination on the nakago begins. This may be why the polishers marks do not line up parallel with the mune edge of the habaki moto. It could also be the photography angles. Could it also be that the polishers marks were added later???? The speckling above the line where the patination begins reminds me somewhat of an electrically welded nakago, but I cant be sure of that, so I mention it only as a possible suspicion. Bear in mind I can be horribly wrong. (it wouldnt be the first time, nor will it be the last).

Please dont shoot the messenger....... We were asked for comments. :)

I would have thought the polishers mark were added later...... With the blade in hand it does not show any signs of having being welded... but I probably don't know what I'm looking for.

The shinogi of the blade does not carry smoothly to the shinogi of the nakago. The nakago seems to be at a strange angle to the rest of the sugata ie, it angles rather awkwardly toward the mune edge at the point between the machi and where the patination on the nakago begins. This may be why the polishers marks do not line up parallel with the mune edge of the habaki moto. It could also be the photography angles. Could it also be that the polishers marks were added later???? The speckling above the line where the patination begins reminds me somewhat of an electrically welded nakago, but I cant be sure of that, so I mention it only as a possible suspicion. Bear in mind I can be horribly wrong. (it wouldnt be the first time, nor will it be the last).

I've just checked and the shinogi of the blade does carry on straight / smoothly to the shinogi of the nakago, the photo does slightly distort it's appearance. The polishers marks follow the line of the mune machi when looked at by the naked eye, theres a deviance of about 1mm when magnified however much the photo is magnified by.

Since the shinogi and mune of the nakago should be parallel to each other in the area of the nakago just below the machi, the polisher's lines should be at the same angle (ideally parallel) to each. They appear to be nearly parallel to the mune but not so to the shinogi. This tells me that one or the other has been moved and it looks to be the shinogi to me.

Jason, please try this. Wrap a towel around the top end of the blade and holding it by the towel sight down the shinogi to see if it wanders below the machi. It should be a continuous gentle curve; I'm guessing that you will see a very slight jog in the curve.

Grey

My PM to Jason before I issued this post, (of course the picture may mistaken us):

look at the lines of the polisher mei, at the shinogi and the angle beween both. The angle is decreasing between the shinogi and the mune...

It looks like as if the back has been filed as to create a new mune machi...

Excuse my crude drawing....

The side of the blade not shown in the photo seems fine, however on this side (shown)

The shinogi runs parallell to the mune at arrows 1 & 3, where I've got arrow 2 at the machi the shinogi seems to run straight briefly (instead of following the gentle curve) before returning to the gentle curve and parrallel to the mune at arrow 1&3..... Would this be the wandering you refer to??? When looking at the blade as you suggested this is the only thing looking "odd"

Since the shinogi and mune of the nakago should be parallel to each other in the area of the nakago just below the machi, the polisher's lines should be at the same angle (ideally parallel) to each. They appear to be nearly parallel to the mune but not so to the shinogi. This tells me that one or the other has been moved and it looks to be the shinogi to me.

Jason, please try this. Wrap a towel around the top end of the blade and holding it by the towel sight down the shinogi to see if it wanders below the machi. It should be a continuous gentle curve; I'm guessing that you will see a very slight jog in the curve.

Grey

post-2538-14196805684763_thumb.jpg

Yes Jason and yes Jean,

The shinogi wanders and the mune of the nakago has been altered. Seems strange that the mune would have to be moved; usually it's the other side moving to create a more robust ha-machi. With all the questions being raised, this might be a good sword to move away from (sell) Jason.

Grey

Jason.

Please excuse me talking around you, but there are now two of us suggesting the possibility of a tsuji nakago. I would rather be wrong about this, since it is not something I like to see on any sword.

Chris.

In the photograph of the nakago mune below the habaki moto, Do you see the three lines of abuttment (The two transverse ones are quite feint) The upper one shallow and the lower one deep, almost identical to your illustration?

Chris.

In the photograph of the nakago mune below the habaki moto, Do you see the three lines of abuttment (The two transverse ones are quite feint) The upper one shallow and the lower one deep, almost identical to your illustration?

Yes, that is why I suggested it may be a tsuji nakago and the reason I posted the sketch....

If you could see it in hand I think you might think differently......

I respect your input and opinions, and will seek advice /opinion from James Jordan...

I too hope it is not the case!!!

If it were the case would there be any signs on the sides of the blade?

Jason.

Sometimes there is the speckling I referred to in my first post. This is not definitive on its own however, since sometimes that will appear as part of the patination of the nakago and it takes an experienced eye to differentiate between them.

There is a section in The Japanese Sword by Kanzan Sato that deals with this and how it was done (with diagrams). If you have the book it would be worth a look.

I sincerely hope that it is not tsugi nakago. :)

I managed to get rid of the light.... not sure if it's a worse picture tho.... I'm not very good with cameras and photo editing software. I'm not sure how to do a clickable thumbnail.....

The width of the shinogi-ji is...... On both sides just on the tsuka side of the yokote the width is 7mm, in the middle of the blade the width is 7.5mm-8mm (both sides), on the blade side of the machi the width is 8-8.5mm, on the mei side of the polishers marks width is 8.5-9mm. So there is some deviation, but I just checked one of my other blades and it seems to follow a similiar pattern.

Also I just got word from the polisher (not the one who polished it) and he says it is definately not a welded nakago, the suggestion is way off.... :clap: He also said "the polisher has not wanted to move the shinogi down to follow the contour of the nakago and this is just poor workmanship rather than a welded nakago"

post-2538-14196805756125_thumb.jpg

It sure is great news!!!!!!!

Chris, I totally see where you (and others who mentioned the possible welded nakago) were coming from based on the photos. They really did look suspicious....

Now that we have established it's not fatally flawed in that department....

Could anyone say if this was once a decent sword screwed up by the last polisher???

I am not so sure it is the polisher's fault- the shaping of the blade comes from the smith. The polisher can correct minor deviations but it would seem that this is simply poor workmanship steming from a slopping job by the smith. What it tells me is that this was probably a kazu uchi mono, or mass produced blade. As such, it probably was never more than a utilitarian blade.

Really Chris? Would a smith have handed off a blade to it's first polisher with a jog in the shinogi? And if that were the case, wouldn't one of the subsequent polishers have made a correction? I think a slip-shod last polish is a much more logical answer.

Grey

Yes, if it was just a mass produced blade, it could have been...We see WWII mass produced blades like this all the time. It may have never been corrected.....because it was never perceived to be much in the first place. There would be no reason for a polisher to cause this, but it would be a polisher who could correct it...