Need Opinions on Style and Motiff of Fittings

Edward G

Good evening all:

Attached are photos of a recent tanto acquisition. As you can tell all the fittings are consistently portraying the same theme. The Fuchi, Kashira, Kogai, Kozuka and even the menuki have similarities. They are all inlaid with gold, not brass. I believe that the central pattern is a variation of the Kiri (Paulownia) Mon.....On one side of the Fuchi there are only two flowers, while on the opposite side there are three flowers. In any event all opinions are very welcome.....As you can tell the tanto blade is quite old and I cannot make out the Mei or date on the tang. The cutting edge measures 23.5 centimenters or 9.25 inches. It is a very impressive piece to add to my collection. Thank you for your thoughts.

URL=http://img709.imageshack.us/i/img2744ws.jpg/]img2744ws.th.jpg[/url]

img2764p.th.jpg

img2758y.th.jpg

img2757f.th.jpg

img2752p.th.jpg

img2750w.th.jpg

img2748r.th.jpg

Edward G/

Hi Edward G.,

I can't offer any more information about the style or motif then you already have. One thing I can offer is an opinion and mine is that the craftsmanship of the whole set is wonderful. Could you provide a close-up of the habaki? From the indirect photos the Habaki also looks like it is of a high level of craftmanship to match the other fittings. Thanks for sharing. :D

Yours truly,

David S.

It looked to me to have classic Higo Zogan. Not that old, or very well taken care of.

Mark G

I would agree with Mark G. The fitting look nice but the ito or whatever that is on the tsuka doesn't looks like it is in very good condition. The redoing of the tsuka would make the koshirae look really nice in my opinion.

Yours truly,

David S.

Thanks to all who have shared an opinion on this Tanto. I am posting some additional pictures of the Habaki that may be of interest to David S. who commented about further pictures on this subject, as you can tell it is a signed piece., Nothing at all leads me to think that the fittings are in any way new, but rather original edo period.

If someone could translate the signature on the Habaki, perhaps this would give a clue as to when it was fitted to the Tanto.

47966942.th.jpg

11918931.th.jpg

50212935.th.jpg

83871675.th.jpg

Thanks again, I really do appreciate everyone's input on this.

Edward G.

but the ito or whatever that is on the tsuka doesn't looks like it is in very good condition

Some of the 'Baleen' may be damaged or missing, still, I would try to carefully preserve what remains of it as well as possible (no direct handling), as it is a rather unique and somewhat fragile feature which should be appreciated. As for the habaki mei and style

Hi,

Very nice Habaki. !!!

The mei says "Omori Hidehiko + kao " . 大森英彦

Maybe, later generation of Omori school.(?)

I don't know the period.

Overall my guess is later Edo for this koshirae.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..