Wakizashi Translation

Hello all, I am new to Nihonto and I am not an expert but I have been offered what I believe to be a suriage katana blade that is now a wakizashi. I am guessing that the age is Koto. What do you think? Also there appears to be a kanji on the nakago if anyone can make it out. I would love to get your thoughts and feedback! Thanks in advance! I should also add, I know it is probably not restorable. but maybe a nice conversation piece to display and something to look at! Thanks again

s-l960-6.jpg

s-l960.jpg

s-l960-1.jpg

s-l960-2.jpg

s-l960-5.jpg

s-l960-3.jpg

s-l960-4.jpg

備前 Bizen starts with 備, so there is a huge hint, helping us to imagine 備前(国)長船(住)... Bizen Osafune Ju, etc. Study of the blade patterns may help narrow it down.

PS Looks as if it's had a hard life. Is the Kissaki bent around or broken off? 

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

Your sword is, most likely, Koto. It definitely has been shortened and looks long enough to have been a katana before shortening.  If there is room between the tip of the boshi and the end of what's left of the kissaki, a properly trained polisher may be able to restore the sword by reshaping the kissaki and by moving the mune at the tip of the sword closer to the edge but the cost for the work probably far exceeds the value of the sword when completed.

Grey

• Like 1