A couple of new (to me) ones on the way

Well I reckon the best way to learn is probably the hard way...

I picked these up at an auction the other day and am waiting to see them up close.

I believe the top one to be a Type 98 but not really sure about the bottom one.

They are not in the greatest shape but they fell within budget and will join my Type 95. 

Appreciate any info  on what you guys see.

Once I get them in hand I'll try and get better pics if desired.

Thanks 

iimg268124.jpg

iimg268125.jpg

They should arrive next week.  I also could not discern the tassel colours from the pics.

The one saya is clearly in a sad state. 

I would appreciate any advice from you guys re removing the remaining leather - thanks

Mich  

Just thinking maybe the saya for the top one is an old converted civilian/Samurai one which might mean the blade is an older one? Difficult to say from these images.

I would leave the remaining leather….its part of its history. You might try to take it off, doubtless damaging it in the process only to find all the lacquer under it falls off. Saya could be split as well. Wait till yet get em and post better pics.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally received these two swords. 

Some pics of #1 which is likely from Java per PNSSHOGun

Seems like someone scrawled something (a name) into the leather?

She's a rough one boys!

IMG_20240513_111332402_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240513_111348692_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240513_111357046_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240513_111526410.jpg

IMG_20240513_111610028.jpg

IMG_20240513_111616297.jpg

IMG_20240513_111804805.jpg

IMG_20240513_112006977.jpg

14 minutes ago, Matsunoki said:

Was hoping you’d got an old blade but sadly not. The military sword guys will tell you all about it. Looks better than the first one!

Haha - yep, you never know I suppose!  

If the scrawling on the first one were spelled a little differently (Subedar) it could be a military rank in South East Asia. Roughly equivalent to warrant officer.

John C.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John C said:

If the scrawling on the first one were spelled a little differently (Subedar) it could be a military rank in South East Asia. Roughly equivalent to warrant officer.

John C.

To me it rather looks like a surname of German origin : Subauer. 

Probably the name of the U.S. serviceman who brought it back home as a souvenir.

• Like 1

I was seeing "Subadir" so took a guess that who ever wrote it didn't spell it correctly, however you could be right. I couldn't find any references for Subauer.

John C.

49 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Mich,

No date or stamps on the Kanenao?

Also, that brown tassel says this was carried by a Gunzoku servicemember.

Oh, and for and 'island sword', that nakago on the first one is pretty well made!

Thanks Bruce

The only other marks I could find are as follows. (*although the second pic I am not sure is even a stamp?)

IMG_20240514_071205165.jpg

IMG_20240514_071407458.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks Mich!  Both are the large Seki stamp, likely date range for you blade is 1941-43, '42 most likely.

Thanks again to the members for the help in identifying these.

While in less than pristine shape overall - at least they appear to be "original" from what I can tell.

I will say the first one (Island Sword) is definitely sharp!   

Hello Bruce,

Kurt from Switzerland here. I've been looking through this forum a lot and have been seeing your name a lot. I'm looking for a WWII Katana for my Fathers Birthday (Budget up to 5000). I'm not very knowledgeable so I'm seeking help on where to find and buy real swords from the era. Hope you can give me some information. 

My email is: k.johnson777@hotmail.com

Best,

Kurt 

Though not much hataraki may be seen on the "Java sword", good news is that it doesn't appear to be all that pitted.  Looks like a prime candidate for a "power uchiko" treatment (just don't ride up and over the shinogi).  An hour or two should reveal whatever activity is present, though the Seki stamp advises keeping your expectations modest.  ;-)

15 hours ago, Kurttt said:

Hello Bruce,

Kurt from Switzerland here. I've been looking through this forum a lot and have been seeing your name a lot. I'm looking for a WWII Katana for my Fathers Birthday (Budget up to 5000). I'm not very knowledgeable so I'm seeking help on where to find and buy real swords from the era. Hope you can give me some information. 

My email is: k.johnson777@hotmail.com

Best,

Kurt 

Hi Kurt!

I don't mind chatting via email, but I think other guys from Europe might be able to help you more, as I don't know the best options for buying swords over there.  One thing I can tell you is the NMB For Sale or Trade: Swords and Edged Weapons forum is a good place to start.

I've bought half my collection from dealers, and the other half on ebay.  Dealers will cost you more money, but are more trustworthy.  Ebay is a minefield full of fakes and sometimes shaky sellers.

Thank you Bruce!

I've sent you some Swords via Email. Hope you could give me some information about them. 

I really appreciate your help.

Best,

Kurt