'Separate Movement Forces' Tanto?

cthal

Hi Hal

A quick check of on-line info suggests your best bet would be to try and identify the purple stamps because they are probably the same as the shoulder patches for whichever raiding group this tanto was carried by. Can you make out what kind of image the stamps contain? The kanji are tough! No one who s seen em can translate em. Its not Teishin Shudan nor Giretsu Kutestai or Daisan Dokoritsu Hikotai which I had hopes of since they raided the B29 bases in the Mariannas and Saipan and one other island which fits with the island part of your provenance. Maybe its a Marine Commando unit.

Philip

Heres what I see;

別働隊 玉友

Bestudôtai Tama-tomo

Bestudo-tai is translated as "detached force, flying column; partisan." Tama-tomo if this is in fact what we see would be "friend of the jewel" or more likely "a friend [as precious as] a jewel". So your original translation is pretty close, this may not be a recognized group or unit but something for a "Third Column" member. The tama I am not so sure of, maybe will see it as something different with your new photos.

Just MHO but don't think the stamps are military look more like postage cancellations to me, then again looking forward to seeing those pics for more info...

-tom

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..