Anatomy of a fake(?) Part 1

Jesta

I bought this tsuba a while ago, just on impulse because I am a sucker for wave patterns. I am increasingly convinced that it is not an Edo period piece, although I should be clear that I don't think that the shop was in any way dishonest. I should have spent more time looking at it, but that's life. I like the waves, and I am not going to get rid of it. I will keep it around as a reminder to be more careful, and as a reference to look back on. 

This is an attempt to illustrate some probable issues with it as a way for other people (like me) to learn from, so please feel free to add your comments on things that I have missed. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d757656d991a56c30a838162256874f7.jpeg

The front of the tsuba.

fake-rear.thumb.jpg.4bdfb3516560eecebc9d6d57cc83a862.jpg

The reverse.

These images show what I have noticed about it that indicate that it is not really a good piece. 

fake-1.thumb.jpg.c779e5e87ff394dec53bf34378f4e28e.jpg

fake-2.thumb.jpg.9a466f933f59fab468c5c30548ce960e.jpg

The sekigane looks like it is not actually another piece of metal, just a shape in the metal. 

fake-3.thumb.jpg.853ba4b1f9c4ae47fd63704a682f5b09.jpg

These patterns look like they are artefacts from either a casting or stamping process, but I am not entirely sure. The concave shape (see below) makes me think that it was stamped.  

fake-4.jpg.aa53d9faa56649c9639d08674ff2c273.jpg

fake-5.thumb.jpg.9c4f160865fd2d921aa31f86c3fd8393.jpg

• Thanks 1

Also, the way the fish scales have been engraved/carved is extremely crude. Usually Japanese artists will take the time to carve them properly, and not by using  a hasty cross-cross pattern that in this case also extends beyond the intended boundaries.

IMG_4061.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Justyn,

the concave shape of the TSUBA plate is not necessary a sign of stamping. There are many hand-made TSUBA which show that feature.

Stamping could easily be done in any shape desired, be that flat, convex, or concave. But I agree that the TSUBA above is not authentic in the sense of a traditionally made Japanese swordguard.

35 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

Justyn,

the concave shape of the TSUBA plate is not necessary a sign of stamping. There are many hand-made TSUBA which show that feature.

Stamping could easily be done in any shape desired, be that flat, convex, or concave. But I agree that the TSUBA above is not authentic in the sense of a traditionally made Japanese swordguard.

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen many concave tsuba, so it's good to know that they are out there. 

Katakiri carving with a chisel usually results in a sharp cut, meaning that the cross section of the cut will look like a "V". Cast copies won't have that feature, the cross sections will look like a "U". Dirt or other coatings may disguise the sharp cut. This is difficult to tell from a photo sometimes so may need to enlarge or use a magnifying glass. Another tell on these reproductions is the extensive use of silver. Silver was usually used to pick out small details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1