Tsuba help

Mark C

Hi All,

This tsuba is from my latest sword buy, Would be nice to try and identify it. As I know very little regarding tsuba, Could I please ask for a little help?

Material - soft (Copper?)

Width - 2.5"

Height - 2 7/8"

Subject - I believe it is a heron over waves with sea shells.

The nanako isn't the best I've seen.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0754.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mark, your tsuba looks legit to me, possibly a ko-kinkō piece made in nigurome. Unfortunately the golden coloring seems an amatourish attempt to revitalize a weared gilt.
All the best, Mauro

The bird reminds me more of a Mandarin duck. image.jpeg.224190fe30dc4b455b92bb507b6e8a5c.jpeg  But what would a duck be doing at sea?

No photo description available.  I am not sure what this bird is, duck body, seagull head?

Mark does your guard have a fukurin or is it all the same material with carved integral rim? Also is the opposite side the same design? Could it be Sanmai?

• Like 2

Thanks Dale and Mauro,

Tsuba does have a fukurin and is non magnetic. I have looked at the inside of the Nakago ana and can see  evidence of three layers so i would say construction is sanmai. Opposite side below:

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark, the ura view gives me even more confidence the bird is a duck - short legs, upturned tail and wing tips.  I wonder if other examples with this pattern will turn up?

image.png.0151ed650678324115b334f639f1cbb4.png   Maybe not this particular one :laughing:   [Hokusai might not be impressed!]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks Everyone, I have learnt a lot regarding this tsuba.

On the subject of ducks, could the other shape be a Diving duck?

I only say this as I have read that normally they are in pairs and on my tsuba I only have one complete duck on each side plus one of each shape?.

Regards

I don't think so. As you can see on the one side of my Tsuba, it was unusual but not completely impossible to depict a single duck. I can't see any proof of a diving duck in your Tsuba. The other shapes shown there are depictions of clams, shells and mussels. A very common topic at this period for describing a seashore, like at this one here:

IMG_20240317_125852_edit_4095637839753172.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3