Ken Swords

DTM72

At the Show Of Shows in Loiusville, Kentucky a few weeks ago, I picked-up a last minute deal as the vendors were packing up. To my partially educated eyes it is a koto ken shaped tanto. I don't have measurements (yet) but the nagasa is around 12" - 13" in length (30.5cm - 33cm) The nakago is ubu and has a mei of Amakuni. I was not thrilled with the koshirae as it felt like plastic to me. Wife loves the koshirae as it has some dragons and fire on it.

Open to thoughts, opinions, etc. on this piece. Would enjoy seeing pics and discussion of other kens out there as they seem to be somewhat a rarity.

Sugata 2.jpg

Sugata 1.jpg

Mei 1.jpg

Nakago.jpg

Boshi 1.jpg

Boshi 2.jpg

• Like 4

Koshirae

I know there was no plastic prior to 1907 and was not widely used until WWII. Could this be a type of carved and painted bone? the claws of the dragon are not painted and have a possible appearance of a bone-like substance.

Koshirae.jpg

Dragon Tsuka.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't realise tanto came in this shape - I always assumed they were shortened from polearms or similar, but yours looks awesome!

One question though, doesn't a nagasa of 30cm+ make it too large to be a tanto?

For what's it's worth, I also really like the koshirae.

Realy like the koshirae on that one Dan.  Here's mine, nagasa 415mms and mumei.  The koshirae is carved and stained wood.  A late tourist piece I'm sure but I couldn't resist it.

Ken3.thumb.JPG.8988bf2564075370847a58f13a691a53.JPG

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Ghoul414 said:

I didn't realise tanto came in this shape - I always assumed they were shortened from polearms or similar, but yours looks awesome!

One question though, doesn't a nagasa of 30cm+ make it too large to be a tanto?

For what's it's worth, I also really like the koshirae.

1 shaku = 30.2 cm = 11.9" so this is a big tanto or ko wakizashi. I'll put the measuring stick to it tonight.

22 minutes ago, Geraint said:

A late tourist piece I'm sure but I couldn't resist it.

Looks a bit too nice to be tourist Geraint? Certainly not cheap tourist!
Ken go way back in Japanese history …..Heian period I think. They are often offered to and thus associated with Buddhist Temples and Shinto shrines. Fudo Myo-o wields a Ken as does Shoki the Demon catcher. 
They have attracted the attention of some of the finest Japanese metalworkers. How about this one…..

https://steveslyjapa...anto-wakizashi-copy/

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

26 minutes ago, Matsunoki said:

Looks a bit too nice to be tourist Geraint? Certainly not cheap tourist!
Ken go way back in Japanese history …..Heian period I think. They are often offered to and thus associated with Buddhist Temples and Shinto shrines. Fudo Myo-o wields a Ken as does Shoki the Demon catcher. 
They have attracted the attention of some of the finest Japanese metalworkers. How about this one…..

https://steveslyjapa...anto-wakizashi-copy/

I think he was referring to the mounts as "cheap tourist". Would love to see more of it, regardless. @Geraint

Dear Colin and Dan.

Well thank you for the enthusiasm, not much else to see but here goes.

Kenkissaki.thumb.JPG.45e19ac9a3ddc57d00d66a8e47aef828.JPG

The tsuba is hardwood, the remainder fairly light.  At least you can see some hada and the groove down the ridge is quite good.

All the best.

Ken4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That blade is definitely not tourist Geraint. Nice elegant blade that importantly has kept its symmetry…..very easy to spoil that with a poor polish. The shape is very subtle…..imo….but I like Ken. Had a belter once and like a twit, sold it. Have never found another.☹️ 

• Thanks 1

I've got two ken actually.

One signed "Yukihira", early Kamakura piece.

Another, mumei but probably Yamato and late Muromachi.

I like the one you've got Dan! I wish you had messaged me about it after the show!

• Wow 1

2 hours ago, ChrisW said:

I like the one you've got Dan! I wish you had messaged me about it after the show!

Sorry about that Chris! At the end of the show on Saturday, My wife, son, daughter, best-friend and his daughter, helped my to pack-up and load out. I promised them all that I would buy dinner. No joke, pack-up took 20 minutes, including putting everything in the truck! Went straight to dinner after the show, got stuffed, then to the hotel to shower and sleep. Got up Sunday morning, had a half-assed breakfast in the lobby, then hit the road to South Carolina. Stopped in Lexington, KY for Skyline chili, since we don't have that in S.C.

Long story short, sorry I didn't message ya! Was ready to get home. <-- 9 hour drive.

26 minutes ago, DTM72 said:

Sorry about that Chris! At the end of the show on Saturday, My wife, son, daughter, best-friend and his daughter, helped my to pack-up and load out. I promised them all that I would buy dinner. No joke, pack-up took 20 minutes, including putting everything in the truck! Went straight to dinner after the show, got stuffed, then to the hotel to shower and sleep. Got up Sunday morning, had a half-assed breakfast in the lobby, then hit the road to South Carolina. Stopped in Lexington, KY for Skyline chili, since we don't have that in S.C.

Long story short, sorry I didn't message ya! Was ready to get home. <-- 9 hour drive.

No problem Dan! But if you're not planning on holding onto that ken, you should let me have first crack at a trade/purchase since ken are sort of a big soft spot for me!

16 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

No problem Dan! But if you're not planning on holding onto that ken, you should let me have first crack at a trade/purchase since ken are sort of a big soft spot for me!

You probably passed right by it. She was literaly covered under a pile of other swords of all different types. You could not see it! he was only about 5-6 tables down from me, in the same row. The dealer was starting to pack-up and asked what I was looking for. I said "any Nihonto, especially if it is unusual." He said he has 2 ken. Dug through the pile and handed both to me. The first honestly looked like a yari, and was in poor polish. The second was this one. You know what they say, "you don't choose the blade, it chooses you". I think it must be true.

BTW, when I laid it on my table, the wife snatched it up, checked it out and said "I like it, it's mine now". lol. Could be worse, she could hate this collection/hobby and not allow me to do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTM72 said:

You probably passed right by it. She was literaly covered under a pile of other swords of all different types. You could not see it! he was only about 5-6 tables down from me, in the same row. The dealer was starting to pack-up and asked what I was looking for. I said "any Nihonto, especially if it is unusual." He said he has 2 ken. Dug through the pile and handed both to me. The first honestly looked like a yari, and was in poor polish. The second was this one. You know what they say, "you don't choose the blade, it chooses you". I think it must be true.

BTW, when I laid it on my table, the wife snatched it up, checked it out and said "I like it, it's mine now". lol. Could be worse, she could hate this collection/hobby and not allow me to do it.

Dang! Well, there was just so many tables to see. Didn't get through it all. I didn't leave empty-handed though. Picked up a signed naginata-naoshi blade that Nick Nakamura told me is signed "Moriyuki" and I got it for very little. So I didn't do too bad!

• Like 2