Wakisashi

Hen67

Please advice photos in attachment.

1) Can anyone recognize and locate the name of the smith of this sword (Photos KUNI)? I find it difficult tot read the 2nd Kanji.

2) Can anyone give me more information about the smith KUNIKIYO and if possible a rating of the piece.

Kling Kuni.jpg

Mei Kuni .jpg

Mei Kuni 2.jpg

mei kuni.jpg

Nakago Kuni 2.jpg

Nakago kuni.jpg

nakago Mei Kuni.jpg

kunikyo mei .jpg

kunikyo mei.jpg

Nakago Kunikiyo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I can imagine that the the 2nd kanji could be a cut off Mitsu, anyway looks like a nice sword from Nanbokucho or Keicho period . 
Maybe some close ups of the blades tip and other hamon activities can give a direction wich Kuni(Mitsu)  this could be. 

• Like 1

Hi Hendrik,

Nice blades!

There are 5 Yamashiro kami Kunikiyo working in the Edo period (from Markus Sesko's compendiu):

Kunikiyo (国清), 1st gen., Kan´ei (寛永, 1624-1644), Echizen
Kunikiyo (国清), 2nd gen., Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Echizen
Kunikiyo (国清), 3rd gen., Tenna (天和, 1681-1684), Echizen
Kunikiyo (国清), 4th gen., Hōei (宝永, 1704-1711), Echizen
Kunikiyo (国清), 5th gen., Kyōhō (享保, 1716-1736), Echizen

The blade isn't dated so without comparing the work style of each of these smiths to the blade it's hard to be more precise. The online Nihonto Club index gives the following ratings for some of the smiths, but there's a discrepance with the dates:

Kunikiyo KUN361 國清 1st Echizen Genna (1615-1624)     60 / 550 / Jo-jo saku      
Kunikiyo KUN362 國清 2nd Echizen Kanei (1624-1644)   Kunikiyo 30 / 350 / Jo saku      
Kunikiyo KUN365 國清 4th Echizen Kanbun (1661-1673)     25 / /

I'm away from my books at the moment so I can't help resolve that or provide other ratings. On the ura the inscription reads:

蛮鐵釼之

- Kitau nanban tetsu hagane kore - This was forged using Southern Barbarian steel for the hagane.

The first blade you posted looks very interesting and some close-up photos would be great. Also, if you sprinkle a little talcum powder into the chisel marks on the last kanji it might help point towards a reading.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 9:49 AM, DoTanuki yokai said:

I can imagine that the the 2nd kanji could be a cut off Mitsu, anyway looks like a nice sword from Nanbokucho or Keicho period . 
Maybe some close ups of the blades tip and other hamon activities can give a direction wich Kuni(Mitsu)  this could be. 

Thank you very much for the information. I will provide additional photo material to possibly get more clarity.

KANJI KUNI.jpg

Edited by Hen67
Additional photo

On 2/6/2024 at 10:20 AM, Mikaveli said:

Is the second Kanji something like:

前 or 先 (sen / saki)?

Thank you very much for the reply. I think the 2nd Kanji has a different shape. I will see if additional photographic material can shed more light.

On 2/6/2024 at 1:36 PM, Shugyosha said:

Hi Hendrik,

Nice blades!

There are 5 Yamashiro kami Kunikiyo working in the Edo period (from Markus Sesko's compendiu):

Kunikiyo (国清), 1st gen., Kan´ei (寛永, 1624-1644), Echizen
Kunikiyo (国清), 2nd gen., Kanbun (寛文, 1661-1673), Echizen
Kunikiyo (国清), 3rd gen., Tenna (天和, 1681-1684), Echizen
Kunikiyo (国清), 4th gen., Hōei (宝永, 1704-1711), Echizen
Kunikiyo (国清), 5th gen., Kyōhō (享保, 1716-1736), Echizen

The blade isn't dated so without comparing the work style of each of these smiths to the blade it's hard to be more precise. The online Nihonto Club index gives the following ratings for some of the smiths, but there's a discrepance with the dates:

Kunikiyo KUN361 國清 1st Echizen Genna (1615-1624)     60 / 550 / Jo-jo saku      
Kunikiyo KUN362 國清 2nd Echizen Kanei (1624-1644)   Kunikiyo 30 / 350 / Jo saku      
Kunikiyo KUN365 國清 4th Echizen Kanbun (1661-1673)     25 / /

I'm away from my books at the moment so I can't help resolve that or provide other ratings. On the ura the inscription reads:

蛮鐵釼之

- Kitau nanban tetsu hagane kore - This was forged using Southern Barbarian steel for the hagane.

The first blade you posted looks very interesting and some close-up photos would be great. Also, if you sprinkle a little talcum powder into the chisel marks on the last kanji it might help point towards a reading.

Thank you very much for the information provided. This is a first-generation sword. I will provide additional photographic material.

• Thanks 1