Another Mumei Wakizashi

oli

Hi,

try to figure out what from which time this Wakizahi ist, but i have no Idea. I think it is Shinto, but what do you think? Nagasa ist 46cm, not shure which measurments are helpful,

thank you

Oliver

DSC_0004.jpeg

DSC_0011.jpeg

Hi,

had a look into Shinto-Shi book from Markus Sesko under Kaga section, but i didnet found any similarity with the nagako,

mybe another picture,

thank you

Oliver

DSC_0029.jpeg

I think there are som areas with itame, and masame is in the area of hamon. But not shure i am a beginner, 

thank you 

Oliver 

PS: and sorry i am not a native english speaker/writer

No worries, picture the boshi when you have time.

Just had a bit of time. The hamon starts off quite straight, like Yakidashi but don't look obviously intentional.

The nakago, the hamon and the feature i mentioned above had me looking at Mishina school but not convinced. There are similarities though.

When you get time get us a clear pic of the boshi

Welcome to the club.

Yes the style of hamon is typical shinto. Weird size/sugata, suspect it had a major crack and was shortened considerably.

There are couple of things which I really good - entire hamon is composed from well distinguishable nie particles and there are "gaps" within it where nie is less dense. These are difficult things.

Unfortunately this smith's ambition resulted also in multiple ware, so its not the top class work by far.  Also - better smiths in almost every school practiced this kind of style. Can be Kyoto, Osaka etc. etc. Maybe 1650-1660 or about.

Seeing boshi might help.

Hi, 

i am aware that this is not a masterpiece. Sorry for the late answer i wanted to wait for the sun to make photos, but it seem it not coming out today. 

Here are some picture with a small lamp, not shure if it is better. 

Have this hamon a special name? I looked in my books and i have no idea how to call this hamon,

thanks

Oliver

DSC_0008.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi, thanks.

Was hoping to see Mishina Boshi (Kyoto) but it don't appear to be the case.  Its difficult from your images as cant really see the hada clearly.  Looks wide, nakago/yasurime fits, yakidashi. Mishina were a Mino related group. Masame may appear in Shinogi-ji

Anyways, leaning that way, maybe as kIrill points out worth looking into Osaka or anyone else you may find in that style.

Always said unless a sword stands out as textbook for a school then it can become a very time consuming wild goose chase. I guess you cant fit every sword in a book, they are hand made, not mass produced so you will see differences.

This is why i now tend to avoid mumei swords.

Saying that though, i like your sword.

Hi Alex,

thanks, yes its only a study peace for me. The hada isn't easy to see because of the condition i think. I made another try to catch the hada, 

regards

Oliver

DSC_0005.jpeg

DSC_0008.jpeg