Surrender Tag interpretation.....please.

dbcolts

I'am really new to the Japanese Swords and have no experience in this area. Even though I've been in the arms business for 40 years. U.S. military and Colt arms my specialy. Just recently I acquired a large and older WWII Japanese arms collection from a long time friends estate. It was assembled circa 1950's to 1970's. There were 14 Japanese swords and one dagger. He was a US Marine and focused on the South Pacific War. I would appreciate any help in understanding and learning their history. I have a few books....which only lend to confuse me even more....LOL. Yes....I'm a novice and just know enough that it really perks-my-interest to learn more.

My first question is interpretation of a "surrender tag". After reading a little about these....it seems to me that it give the sword a real personality.IMG_0925.thumb.jpg.7e2b42a099bb7abb04317663bc6fc5eb.jpg

IMG_0924b.jpg

IMG_0926b.jpg

IMG_0933a.jpg

David,

We're all sword nuts here, so would you share some shots of the blade, and especially the nakago (tang), both sides?

And as John said, this is a Kaigunto, or Type 97 Japanese Navy Officer sword.  Nicely upgraded saya (scabbard) with eel skin or shark skin.  I'd guess shark by the limited photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the information that you've provided. You are all a valuable source on the original Japanese swords.....which I'm sure ya'all know. I'll also post more pictures of this Navy sword....once I get them taken and proofed. Again thanks. I will be posting the collection that I bought, as I take more pictures. And, yes I know....details are necessary. I was in the US military small arms field for over 35 years.....especially the Colt automatic pistols. And have quite a bevy of photos...over 10,000. Here are some random photos I took of the collection I acquired. I purchased it mainly for the firearms and bayonets. And the swords were ancillary. 

IMG_8416a.JPEG

IMG_0774.JPEG

imagejpeg_0-2.jpg

imagejpeg_0-4.jpg

imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_1-3.jpg

imagejpeg_2-3.jpg

IMG_8411.JPEG

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

On 12/21/2023 at 4:21 PM, PNSSHOGUN said:

This would likely be Kojima Kanemichi, the lack of any stamps would point to it being traditionally made.

Thanks you so much....have a blessed Christmas. What does "traditionally made" mean? David

IMG_0933#a.jpg

46 minutes ago, Mister Gunto said:

Looks like a really fantastic collection! 

Thanks, but its actually a collection I'm selling for the family. No prices on the swords yet. I also have 40 bayonets.

Have a blessed Christmas, David

IMG_8417.JPEG

IMG_8418.JPEG

IMG_8420.JPEG

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dbcolts said:

What does "traditionally made" mean?

To qualify as “traditionally made“ a blade has to be made out of a special Japanese steel called tamahagane, hammered and folded, then water quenched.  Many blades during WWII were made of other steels, and/or were oil quenched.  Traditionally made blades tend to have more artistic qualities and hold a higher price on the market.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..