Which one?

1kinko

賀州住兼若

The bottom half of the first kanji is missing on my yore-doshi.  Theres an article (The Kashu Kanewaka School) by Anthony Thomas online but no photos.  AOI and a few others have pictures of the signatures but none have the final kanji/kao. Thomas reported that there were 3 more generations in the late Edo but no information’s available when Thomas wrote his article.

14 hours ago, 1kinko said:

Other signatures by this school have another kanji below the first, in about the area where the mekugi ana sits.

I see.
In this case, however, it’s signed with “加” instead of “賀”. So nothing is missing! 

None of the other signatures from this school (that I have seen) are missing the bottom half. Is this like a short-hand version? And is this a common abbreviation or an indication of more recent changes to kanji to make them easier to write?

Edited by 1kinko
To clarify my limited knowledge

I have no other Kanewaka with kao to compare, but it's definitely a kakihan/kao.

Edit:  I did find a similar one posted by @Tokaido HERE.  The smith was Takahiro and Moriyama-san believed him to be the younger brother of sandai Kanewaka.

post-115-14196791264958_thumb.jpg.0350237ca03af3d054e4ff0d45d3ff1e.jpg

You can see the similarities.  Common practice for family members to slightly modify a family kao:

x.jpeg.2d010042e9fa8b5d55eb4eb22b4c8630.jpeg  Screenshot2023-09-24091609.png.b096fbcd8c5e5c83193586b4e2c79d1a.png

• Like 2

Well, I’m totally impressed, once again NMB members come through. I don’t see any way of identifying this particular smith, but I know at lot more about the school and the nature of signatures.  Here’s a pic of the whole blade andIMG_2118.thumb.jpeg.f3c68b3eb6f9212ca9d6db957307d9e0.jpeg kosherae. The bashin and kojira are my work, as both were missing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..