Mino blade?

Recently came across intriguing blade which seems to have mino type of characteristics. Presently in a bad state of polish. Blade was dressed in damaged WW2 police fittings. Looked like blade was shortened at some point with 3 mekugi-Ana. The one on the bottom seems punched and original along with original patina at the bottom and newer establishing patina toward the top of nakago along with what looks like newer filing Marks toward the top of nakago where there is also a loss of patina from filing and refitting. The original yasurime at the bottom appears like Takanoha pattern which appears to be original to the blade. By looking at profile of nakago it has a continuous thickness on spine to the end where suriage and does not taper showing some evidence blade was considerably longer. Also to note ha side of nakago gets progressively  thicker as it approaches middle to end of nakago and shows where it was filed down giving more evidence blade was considerably longer. Nagasa 64.8cm, Moto-haba 2.3cm, saki-Haba 2.2cm, moto-kasane 0.6cm, nakago nagasa 16.5cm, sori 1.7cm. Sugata somewhat saki-zori. Hamon has interesting patterns of gunome midare with Toran and elements of choji. One side has a little more sort of what I would define as a mix of Kani-tsume-ba midare. I also noted what appears odd is either a small opening in the nakago or an intentional chisel stroke of (-) ichi on the nakago which is probably a corrosive element but something observed nonetheless. It wouldn’t make sense anyways due to takanoha yasurime which wouldn’t fit Ichimonji school. Likely mino. Anyways what’s your kantei. Here are pics 

BFB2B2BD-2256-4582-BE33-2702C62B4E27.jpeg

898BCD04-3572-4B63-9316-A0019BA3EB37.jpeg

6F290E1D-257E-4C5C-B0F0-2AE41214CDF7.jpeg

8436B33B-A662-4465-8F2D-892E3E71A3A6.jpeg

12144F44-06C3-4DED-A331-F37DAA2B7399.jpeg

33521284-9904-4DBA-9A9D-F0F7C2F32859.jpeg

300F4356-49A3-45D2-A029-0117CC5A2ED0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

The blade looks very interesting, with the bad polish it is pretty tough but there are some parts that remind me of Kawachi school. Pictures of the Boshi would be helpful as well.

Hard to get good pics of boshi but looks somewhat irregular is all I can make of it. Here are the best pics I can get at this time

30B9F2CD-1925-40A6-AE7A-081DC03F2FFF.jpeg

E9D22B8B-7BE1-4799-81C7-C453992B5BC0.jpeg

0A86D44B-3D75-4A29-8EF0-5F28AD7E46F9.jpeg

Hi George.

Reminded me more of Bizen than Mino, with the hamon.

Initially thought Edo Ishido but the Takanoha you mention dont add up. (off top of head, look and who knows, you may find them)

So maybe your right, maybe a not so obvious Mino ?, 

Do you see any Masame in the Shinogi-ji ?

Just looking at a sword on Aois Museum, they call Mino with Bizen influence.  Gunome Choji.

https://www.aoijapan...-as-sue-seki-school/

I cant make out the boshi, is it the same as the hamon?

Just ideas.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alex A said:

I cant make out the boshi, is it the same as the hamon?

The boshi looks like a continuation as the same pattern as the hamon. Hard to tell grain pattern in shinogi-ji. The grain in the hada looks very tight unable to tell. In the state the polish is in right now it appears like no pattern of graining or cannot see mokume or masame. Could be very tight graining that doesn’t show until after polish. I’ve studied it under many light sources and unfortunately cannot make it out. Just looks like at some point somebody made a pass at it with  some kind of light abrasive or fine grain sandpaper. I agree Bizen doesn’t quite fit especially with takanoha on the bottom of the nakago that is well established patina over top of it. I agree the hamon does look Bizen. Maybe as the hybrid example as you posted from AOI Museum. I am stumped and maybe might be some obscure offshoot during Shinto or late Muromachi era. Of course I’ve tried to see any utsuri but not any areas clear enough. Unable to make out any activity within the hamon, only the outline of it. Cannot visualize the noi- guchi line due to bad state of polish

Just based on the regular pattern of the lighter appearing yakiba and the alternation between tani and gunome elements would that be typical of the Sue Koto, specifically Bizen and Mino. Although a koshi no hiraita with kani no tsume elements had developed from swordsmiths like Morimitsu in Bizen, the popular hamon was quickly copied in Mino and can be found in variants well into the Shinto period.
Along with the Taka no Ha Yasurime, I would certainly see the sword in the direction of the Mino tradition.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sabiji said:

Just based on the regular pattern of the lighter appearing yakiba and the alternation between tani and gunome elements would that be typical of the Sue Koto, specifically Bizen and Mino. Although a koshi no hiraita with kani no tsume elements had developed from swordsmiths like Morimitsu in Bizen, the popular hamon was quickly copied in Mino and can be found in variants well into the Shinto period.
Along with the Taka no Ha Yasurime, I would certainly see the sword in the direction of the Mino tradition

Thank you Thomas

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..