Menuki

Ian B3HR2UH

Did anyone see the four sets of gunto menuki for sale on Jauce recently ?  Each of the sets had a mon on the middle of the menuki as you would see on a high quality gunto mount . To my eye the silver mon looked a bit thicker than usual and they didn't

have the stippled effect on the cut away areas that you see on the real ones.  I decided that they were reproductions but there were 119 bids and someone liked them well enough to pay 41500 yen for them . 

If they were really left over WW2 stock then it probably shows that some of the Mon, we assume are family Mon, are just something nice that was picked out of a dealers stock.

Today I saw four more sets for sale which reinforced my view that they are modern reproductions  I put this up as if it isn't bought to light people will soon believe that these are genuine old pieces ( like the mon on the 1944 pattern sword )

Ian Brooks

menuki.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow 1

Guest Simon R

Thanks for the heads-up, Ian!

Totally agree with you and John regarding the age (or lack thereof) - every example has the same casting flash on the right side of the petal positioned at 'six o'clock' under the mon.

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...