When even deities can find themselves in need of some help

Grevedk

Dear NMB fellowship,

Once again I hope to draw knowledge from your experience and expertise. In my little quest to get wiser on the subject of Tsuba I have found my self buying different kinds of Tsuba (e.g regarding base materials, design and schools). This time I found a much used brass (Shinchu) Tsuba with the design of the Japanese deity “Daikokuten”, God of fortune and wealth (among a lot of other traits) and a child apparently playing with spinning tops. It shows clear signs of having been mounted (probably on a Wakizashi).

• Measurement’s: 7,2 x 7,0 x 0,5 cm 
  • weight: 130 grams 
  • Material: brass with inlay of other soft metals. Mimi is a ring of soft metal that has the feel and look of shakudo (but I am in doubt). There is no iron in or around the Tsuba.
  • Design: Daikokuten with mallet and sack / child playing 
  • Mumei
  • School: my own guess would be Mito school? 🧐
  • Period: probably late Edo period to early Meiji period

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on:

• School and if possible a suggestion on maker
  • Design and carvings 
  • Possibility of restoration of patina (looks like a previous owner may have tried to polish the surface with a rather “heavy hand”)

All the best

Soren 

Omora side

809E5ACE-707F-452D-8790-746BC56AF1DB.thumb.jpeg.8c302b110b0988d1b436096d1dfd2754.jpeg
07652E97-C33C-40BC-B24A-45DEC60F96DA.thumb.jpeg.862becf893fd4e7f6c20f177190aee4e.jpeg

Ura side

3F6ACD61-38B1-44CB-886D-FD56F50D73F3.thumb.jpeg.fbef7a59de4d7fb676d2b8718473ef0f.jpeg
9096556C-FFAD-4F44-8955-229D92C766A9.thumb.jpeg.deeb3f1c6c7e0c4628e4a9c689aac4c0.jpeg

C9D0AC23-74A1-48BF-BEF8-3EA825203CBB.jpeg

6 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Sorry Soren, I can't help with the school or maker but I would like to show a guard related to the second image you posted.

image.thumb.png.e0f784c1fcefad9973b7668e45d2e402.png

Dale,

That is very clearly “Daikokuten” in all his might and opulence, holding mallet, sack of goods and sitting on the bales of plenty 😜👍 

Won’t ask you where you found that one or where the yellow’ish color comes from, but if you keep it long enough (say a few hundred years) it might end up in a museum with someone writing a book about it 😂

All the best

/Soren

Hi Jeremy and Bruno,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

49 minutes ago, rematron said:

I think another possibility is Hamano school. 

48 minutes ago, Kurikata said:

+1

Is it the ura side (carving of the tree and branches) that makes you suggest Hamano?

All the best

/Soren

Jeremy and Bruno,

Thank you - your input and perspective is much appreciated. For one - I hadn’t seen the raised mimi as an indicative sign of the Hamano school. So - again a little wise through the sheer accumulated knowledge of other’s 👍😎

All the best.

/Soren

You’re welcome Soren! I’m a novice so I’m shooting from the hip a little. It wasn’t one thing or the other but the combination of things together that made me think Hamano. Also I’m remembering something @Ford Hallamwrote about that school also incorporating mythological subjects in their works. 

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..