Need some help about a Kaji KAbuto

madweirddog

Hi Guys,

I know this isn't really an armor, and I'm not sure this topic is in the right category. But I struggle finding precise information about this object I received many years ago from an ex-GF (she bought it on ebay). As far as I can tell it's a Kaji Kabuto from Edo period. I was wondering if someone had any idea of the precise period since Edo started around 1600 till late 1800's.

Also, it has some ornaments like a mon (myôga) and I was wondering if someone knew if it was related to a specific clan/family/geographical place or anything. Also shall I consider this mon is surrounded by one or two circles ?
My last question is about the silk part (with the knot) which is simply disintegrating, any idea to prevent this ?

Thank you all for your help.

20221205_122222_HDR.jpg

kabuto low.jpg

Welcome “MWD”?

The mon on the fukigaeshi seems to be “Maru ni myōga” (ginger in a ring). It was used by several families/clans over time (for example 中根-Nakane or 稲垣-Inagaki). So impossible to pin down the right without more info….

• Like 1

‘Daki’ of Daki-myōga’ 抱き茗荷 translates to ‘embracing’ when there are two opposed or intertwined motifs.
Sometimes you’ll also see ‘Mukai’ as in ‘opposed’ when two butterflies hover head-on for example. Mukai-chō 向かい蝶 

Actually there seems to be a lot of variation in Mon descriptions, almost as if the names are not ‘fixed’.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..