Need help authenticating a Kai-Gunto

ChappyMan

Hi all, apologies for not being knowledgeable. Swords aren't my area of expertise whatsoever.

Recently, I came across this auction on Ebay. (NO BLADE) I doubted the authenticity of this Gunto as, according to other posts on this site, it had some signs of being made postwar. It lacked the rising sun Seppa, and only had one Ashi.

However, I also noticed that this had accurate Naval fittings, and not Army ones. It also appears to be worn and showed signs of use.

In the end, I decided not to bid and it sold for 200USD, which I think would be a decent price if it were real.

Could I also ask- is it possible that the Rising sun seppa was removed at some point? It has a large, recessed oval area on the Tsuba which would usually be covered by the Seppa. I don't think I've seen a configuration like this before, but the other Seppas do seem to fit well.

Pictures are attached below, thank you!

Screenshot_20221028-091427_eBay.thumb.jpg.82ea14aa13b0c0121197accf3bae045c.jpgScreenshot_20221028-091416_eBay.thumb.jpg.09b6a1ba3c401a322456c9cc7cbb9daf.jpgScreenshot_20221028-091420_eBay.thumb.jpg.958eb628711e0923ae27ca035c13140d.jpgScreenshot_20221028-091410_eBay.thumb.jpg.ff8f6003fc07b84a6ca40e19f25a4542.jpgScreenshot_20221028-091559_eBay.thumb.jpg.5179af1af68a6d9f2e3db9217725b09c.jpg

2 hours ago, ChappyMan said:

I doubted the authenticity

Hi Keaton, 

I'm with Bruce (at least) and will even go out on a limb and say that your initial thoughts were well founded.  I think its post war make-up from some WW2 parts.

My observations......

1. Semegane is missing.

2.Bottom Ashi is missing ..although this is not entirely unusual and is often missing from WW2 blades particularly when they were fitted with a leather combat cover.  BUT, its just another tick against for me on this particular koshirae.

3. Canvas Same...possible late war but also quick and easy for post war make up

4.The  sarute and ito both look very new i.e. maybe not WW2

5. Kabutogane dosnt match other Kai fittings...in fact I don't think it is regulation maybe not even for late war (I will wait on others views on that) but in any event, it doesn't match.

and as Bruce said the Dai seppa have definitely been removed therefore it is incomplete

So in all, your decision not to bid was a good one in my view.

Have a gander at the site below, you will probably find it interesting particular given your recent 'foray' into the Gunto world :)

Military Swords of Imperial Japan (Guntō) (ohmura-study.net)

Rob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..