A Pair of WW2 Japanese Type 95 NCO Swords for Comment

drac2k

As a new member I can not tell you how excited I am to be making my first post! Even though I collect Japanese Swords(as well as others), I am a total amateur and I usually collect on instinct rather than knowledge ,which at times has proven costly.

Recently a friend's wife has contacted me and offered the 2 above swords(not a divorce, but the husband isn't doing so well); I could have bought them for $100.00 each, but I knew that would be thievery. My question to the forum would be "what would be a fair price for each of them,"(one is a side catch), so that I can offer her a fair amount and if it is more than I want to spend, at least I can give her a price to go on so that she will not be cheated.

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0027 (600 x 487).jpg

DSC_0020 (600 x 280).jpg

DSC_0021 (600 x 234).jpg

DSC_0022 (600 x 294).jpg

DSC_0023 (600 x 367).jpg

DSC_0024 (600 x 460).jpg

DSC_0025 (600 x 473).jpg

DSC_0026 (600 x 313).jpg

• Like 1

I guy on craigslist posted (5) 300-500 year old swords in good shape for $350. I gave him $500, they were worth thousands. If someone is not a "friend" it comes down to what's a couple of decades worth of books, time and tuition ( losing money to dealers ) worth.   I've also done Kantei for friends for free.  

• Downvote 1

Wow, I hope you bought a lottery ticket as well; what a find! If I saw these swords at a show, I would pay the $200.00 and happily dance away(and I don't dance), however he is a friend and it wouldn't fell right to take advantage of them.

My guess is that they are worth between $500.00 to $650.00 each.

2 hours ago, drac2k said:

Wow, I hope you bought a lottery ticket as well; what a find! If I saw these swords at a show, I would pay the $200.00 and happily dance away(and I don't dance), however he is a friend and it wouldn't fell right to take advantage of them.

My guess is that they are worth between $500.00 to $650.00 each.

Just go to Ebay and do an advanced search for sold type 95 swords. You will see what the current market value is. Members of this forum are a little hesitant to give values. I will tell you that $650 is much below the current market value.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information gentlemen; I think that you guys have given me enough information to make a ball park guess. I tried ebay, but there are so many Chinese fakes on there that I couldn't make a realistic assessment. 

Sorry about having this in the wrong section as I'm still learning my way around here, lol.

16 minutes ago, drac2k said:

Thanks for the information gentlemen; I think that you guys have given me enough information to make a ball park guess. I tried ebay, but there are so many Chinese fakes on there that I couldn't make a realistic assessment. 

Sorry about having this in the wrong section as I'm still learning my way around here, lol.

The ones selling for more than $900 are the real ones. Both of yours are more desirable versions of type 95s (early brass tsuba type and side latch type.) Also yours seem to be in good condition with little rust and much of the original paint still on the handle. All things that drive the price up in a collector's eyes. Just my 2 cents.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..