Cedar Chests for Storage?

Hello everyone.

My wife doesn't want me to add another gun safe to the house to store the additional  swords I had to bring home from the office when I retired.  I was thinking of buying an old cedar chest and adding stackable racks inside so I can store swords inside in layers.  Then it occurred to me that I have no idea if the fumes from the cedar would be detrimental to Nihonto or their fittings.  Anyone have any experience with this?  The swords are currently in a hard sided golf club case and I would really like to get them out of there.

Thanks,

Bob Gilmore

Cedar does outgas, although I don't know whether that would affect steel. You can also keep an eye out for a tansu, specifically a katanadansu, which are made to store swords long-term.

As a moden alternative, you can buy https://www.amazon.com/Weapon-Protection-Zerust-Prevention-Closure/dp/B00PJ4QN12/ which will protect the swords, & you can just put them in your existing gun safes. Not pretty, but inexpensive & practical. I used to be a dealer for these bags, until Amazon went into competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I guess I should have just checked Dr. Google first.  Apparently Western Cedar and new Oak wood have a pH of about 3.5, and the acid fumes can affect nearby metals.  Glad I didn't proceed with the project.   In particular it mentions turning copper green.  That could really screw up some mounts.

Bob

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..