Need help with identifying this sword

Good day gents. Once again, I find myself in need of your assistance in identifying this sword I purchased recently. I know well enough that this is a kai gunto. But as to who made it. I haven’t any clue. Unfortunately there is rust on some of the blade and some damage to the saya. But despite it’s imperfections, this sword is far superior over that shin gunto I posted here before. To me the blade looks like it was forged traditionally but I am not sure. The mei seems to be on the other side and I don’t see any arsenal stamps anywhere. I will try to take more pictures as soon as I get home from work. Anyway, thank you in advance for the much assistance.

Barry

EC0103A3-C8E2-4AA4-8AD0-ED2C5A588E2E.jpeg

1358A5AB-1969-4C5E-8EC1-9314A2216903.jpeg

5CB776F9-4A61-4E10-90DB-C9C37D3DEC68.jpeg

2FD69101-8895-43DA-8003-EA20609BF997.jpeg

CF3406C0-CE52-42CE-951E-DC3627C10DA0.jpeg

• Like 1

Sir Geraint,

I do not have the proper camera at the moment. I hope this phone camera picture would suffice. Unfortunately the habaki is on there really tight i know it will come lose soon. Im just too afraid to hammer or try to take it apart.

1C3DEFC4-8097-4997-8067-6B262F13EFFE.jpeg

• Like 1

This is the blade shape by the way. It has some rust but the hamon can be seen. Especially on the omote side. On the other side is a different story. The hamon is still visible when there is good light. When I got this, it had some rusting going on. So I applied oil on it in an attempt to save it from further rusting. I'm sure a qualified polisher can restore it back to glory.

8E9AA4AB-BFA3-4337-B97E-114C4E3195A6.jpeg

FBCC5CC7-B129-4861-9A6D-97383BE5415F.jpeg

The numbers are believed to be put there by the shop that did the fittings.  Since each piece is custom fit to each blade, they mark them all to keep them together during the process.  By having all your pieces with the same number, it's nice to know they are all original parts and haven't been switched around by previous owners.

Don't know if you are into restoration, but if so, the tassel would have gone on a metal or cloth "loop" on the end of the handle (tsuka).  Yours has gone missing, and someone put the tassel on the belt hanger loop (haikan).  I'm attaching some pics of various styles.

image_zpsflrekc1u.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-04-22 065733.jpg

2016-01-16 11.29.06.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

The numbers are believed to be put there by the shop that did the fittings.  Since each piece is custom fit to each blade, they mark them all to keep them together during the process.  By having all your pieces with the same number, it's nice to know they are all original parts and haven't been switched around by previous owners.

Don't know if you are into restoration, but if so, the tassel would have gone on a metal or cloth "loop" on the end of the handle (tsuka).  Yours has gone missing, and someone put the tassel on the belt hanger loop (haikan).  I'm attaching some pics of various styles.

image_zpsflrekc1u.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-04-22 065733.jpg

2016-01-16 11.29.06.jpg

Thanks Bruce. I think i will try finding cloth loop for the Tassel. My only problem here is that the available material are synthetic. I also don’t want to try copper wire although there are lots of that here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..