Kazu-Uchi Mono Swords

I have seen  too many nice blades singned "Bichu osafune sukesada" and thinking about genbei, hikobei and yosozaemon (or shishibei) are also "Sukesada" and are some of the top smiths of that time, i cant belive that they are the lower end of sengoku blades.

Nagayama count the sukesada smiths as leading swordsmiths in sue-bizen not only the 4 i mentioned. 

Also nagayama wrote that the kazu uchi mono have a irregular size in the midare hamon and many yaki-kuzure, shingane appears and they are generally from 65 to 70 cm nagasa.

• Like 2

Thanks Jacques - according to that article, the use of oroshigane, i.e. steel made by the sword maker himself, is common with these swords.  Markus also has an interesting article about oroshigane and shinto smiths, in which the meaning is can refer to sourced tamahagane that was further refined.  

https://markussesko.com/2018/09/30/oroshigane-mentioned-in-signatures/

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..